Help!-How to determine shipping charges!

Brandyanne

Hello- I will soon be opening a website for selling candles & melters but I have no idea how to dermine shipping charges - do most of you charge flat rate? actual rate? Offer special rates for large orders? Any help will be appreciated- Thanks!:)

First, try a search on here and the old board since this has been discussed before. But, it's really up to you. Do you want to weigh your products and have the shopping cart use that to set the shipping (I think this is the most accurate)? Or do you want to have a flat fee per amount - customer spends $0-$20 - shipping is $5, etc . . . I do the latter because I am rather lazy and have not yet updated my site to ship by weight instead of flat rate. Shipping flat rate makes you lose money, if you're not careful. I also offer free shipping on orders over a certain amount.

Since jar candles tend to be heavy, I use the USPS flat-rate Priority boxes. They cost $8.10 each, and since my jar candles weigh about a pound apiece, shipping would be much higher on most of my customers' orders if I did NOT use flat-rate. They really save money with those boxes. I love 'em!

Most orders can fit into one box, but if they order 10-20 candles or more, of course I have to use a 2nd or 3rd box. I just charge for exactly however many of boxes they need ... no handling charges or hidden fees or anything like that.

HTH

Since jar candles tend to be heavy, I use the USPS flat-rate Priority boxes. They cost $8.10 each, and since my jar candles weigh about a pound apiece, shipping would be much higher on most of my customers' orders if I did NOT use flat-rate. They really save money with those boxes. I love 'em!

Most orders can fit into one box, but if they order 10-20 candles or more, of course I have to use a 2nd or 3rd box. I just charge for exactly however many of boxes they need ... no handling charges or hidden fees or anything like that.

HTH

I find that when I add enough packaging to properly protect fragile jar candles, I can only get three 16 oz. jar candles in a flat rate box. That doesn't end up saving me much money on shipping. The flat rate boxes usually aren't big enough for me.

Shipping is just expensive. My advice would be that if you go with flat rate shipping, make sure you either mark up your product or your shipping charges enough to compensate. Otherwise you will end up losing money every time you ship to zones 5 - 8. I configured my websites shipping calculator. It's really time consuming, but you don't end up overcharging people who live near you to make up for those who live far away. It just seems more fair to me.

I find that when I add enough packaging to properly protect fragile jar candles, I can only get three 16 oz. jar candles in a flat rate box. That doesn't end up saving me much money on shipping. The flat rate boxes usually aren't big enough for me.

Shipping is just expensive. My advice would be that if you go with flat rate shipping, make sure you either mark up your product or your shipping charges enough to compensate. Otherwise you will end up losing money every time you ship to zones 5 - 8. I configured my websites shipping calculator. It's really time consuming, but you don't end up overcharging people who live near you to make up for those who live far away. It just seems more fair to me.

Yes, the 16 oz. jars don't fit as well -- that's true. I should have mentioned that 95% of my website candle sales are the 8 oz. square mason jars, so I can comfortably fit six in there, each individually bubble-wrapped and surrounded by a cushion of peanuts. HTH!

I am probably the odd ball here. I use dhl because UPS and FED EX wanted way to much money for shipping my items. I also use the real time calculator that is build in with my store. But I also am shipping cases of wax.

Hope this helps~