your favorite container wax?

I'm sure this has already been discussed... I've searched but haven't found much of what I'm looking for. If you could humor me and tell me why you like your chosen container wax or blend, I would appreciate it.

I'm through with the blend I'm using now (comfort blend/par-veg blend, 50/50) and planning to order a couple different slabs to test. Looking at 1288B, 4630A, and 4786. My biggest complaint right now is frosting/wetspots happening together. They'll look great for about a week and then BOOM, ugliness! Blah!!! I am the point when I'm actually testing 1343 in a jar.

Many thanks!!

I'm sure this has already been discussed... I've searched but haven't found much of what I'm looking for. If you could humor me and tell me why you like your chosen container wax or blend, I would appreciate it.

With respect, I think your question may be too general and not quite to the point. You'll doubtless get a zillion answers and what good will that do you? Every wax has people who love it. Every wax works brilliantly for certain people in certain applications.

The waxes you're considering are all over the map, so it sounds like you need to focus in on what YOU want to make rather than what other people are doing. Envision it, then you'll have some basis for choosing your materials.

So think about what sort of container it's going to be in and what you want it to look like. Do you envision a creamy opaque surface or more opalescent and deeply colored? Mottled or smooth? Shiny or matte? Do you want to wax to adhere to the container really well or release from it entirely? Etc.

Mysti for container candles I would probably say that 4786 is a great one, I can't get it locally anymore so I have switched to 4360 which I also like. The IGI 6006 is one you may like to try a slab of and if you want to try the Astorlite waxes get a lab of J50. Your container waxes need to have a lower melt point then the pillar or votive waxes. I like the 6006 and the 4360 because you can cut it with a knife and no second pour, but the 4786 is a great wax even though you have to do a second pour. If you are up for testing 4 waxes these are the ones I would go with. Hope that helps. Cindy

After all my wax testing I ended up finding that I like soy the best. But, for a paraffin wax I chose JS-123. I had/have my problems with this paraffin wax too but found that as long as I use it in the proper jars it works really well. It is an easy wax to use and it throws most fragrance oils really well. I use it in jars that do not curve over the top and are wide mouthed and also not narrow at the bottom. I also like J-223 or J-223 with J-50 added and think they are more versitile in different jars (burns cleaner in the soot collecting jars) but it was harder to wick for me. I always got weak flames and then if I went up in size I got smoke off the wick (I double wick). This is just my experience though and may not be the same for you. The Harmony Blend 4630 is nice too (after they helped out the soot problem) but it burns too fast for me with double wicking in my jars.

For my main jars, I use soy and currently use Calsoy CB-3. I love soy! It does have its quirks but I rather put up with the soy quirks than sooted jars. I like the look of soy too. I wanted to keep my style of jars so soy works the best for me. I also LOVE the cold throw with soy (depends on the soy) and the hot throw is GREAT too. I find that the Calsoy CB-3 is very easy to wick.

Everyone has diffferent wants and needs, so what has worked or has not worked for me may not be the case for you, but I hope my response helps you a bit.

~Holly :)

Thanks to those who shared your opinions! The reason I asked is because I am trying to get away from the wetspots and frosting, I don't think that was too general, and I wonder is it wrong to just ask what other people are doing... sometimes you get an idea you might not have thought of otherwise.

Thanks for the link, I will read it over. :-)

First of all 1343 is not made for containers, it is a pillar & votive wax so don't waste your time on that. As far as wax made for container, I use J50...love it, and have learned to LOVE my wet spots because in my opinion you can't get a better throw (with LX wicks) or color. HTH :D