Stupid scrub question!

Cari

I have always made sugar scrubs. I don't like to have to worry about where I might have a nic or a cut on me when I feel like using a scrub. So I have never made a salt scrub.

So here's the stupid question... Why put salt in a scrub?

c :o

Yep, I don't care for salt scrubs myself, don't like the burning associated with it on my bod, and I can't get past the fact that you can use salt to draw out toxins and such (ie. infections, bites etc), which means that it's drying, so why would I want to use that on my skin?

On that note, I know I just read in one of my mags. about the benefits of salt in scrubs and such, but at this late hour can't remember what it was. ;) LOL

I would say it's all about preference...

hey we take baths with salt, and that is not drying. Salt is suppossed to soften the water, which is softening the skin...

TO me salt is a little more rough than sugar, I prefer sugar scrubs.

edited to say, that I have tried salt scrubs and did not find it drying.

What are the benefits of a sugar scrub? I started with salt scrubs. Picture this: In the shower to get clean. Put sugar on skin, sticky mess, have to clean again.

With salt scrub at least I didn't have to think about being dirty again during the shower.

well you have a point Carrie. What if I say the sugar just scrubs and desolves. Then I guess the same could be said for the salt. So is the salt any scrubbier than sugar? Do you use table salt? Is there a difference in benifits between the 2? Or is it just preference?

C

Bunny, I believe she was saying that is what she thinks of with sugar scrubs, like several others said they think of it drying there skin and I believe it was you and I that think of open cuts. lol

C

The salt scrub I make does not separate. It is not drying at all. It exfoliates very well. Makes your skin feel silky smooth. No disadvantages. I usually do not have open sores on my body. Some people that buy the salt scrub put it all over their body because it makes their skin feel so good. I do not like the oil separating from the rest of the product like the sugar scrubs do.

I use e-wax in my regular sugar scrub and my whipped sugar scrub, it they do not seperate. I have had one in the shower for the last couple of weeks and no seperating. I haven't noticed any stickiness from it.

Has anyone else noticed that there are 3 of us on this thread? Cari (me), Carrie, and Kerry...Ok I'm over it.

Kerry...I put I think about 6% in my last scrub and it just didn't hold it all. Now it's been a long while since I have made scrubs, so should I have SB'd the stuff till cool and then added the sugar? I know this is another goof ball question here. I have been away from B&B stuff for quite a while and have customers driving me crazy for stuff so I guess I better get it back together soon. :D Whipped sugar scrub that sounds right up my alley! Sounds wonderful, is it just fluffy? Is that from ewax?

C

I'm back :D

The sticky sugar thing is all in my mind, but it kept me from trying sugar scrubs for a long time. I also don't care for food scents for soap, most of them just smell like something sticky. Can you tell I have a real problem with sweet and sticky stuff?

I make an emulsified sugar scrub with lots of butter and oils. I also add 2 different size sugars in my scrubs and sometimes jojoba beads.

Hahahaha Carrie, Cari and Kerry. Just about right.

So salt is said to soften the water where sugar doesn't?

Interesting, we have horribly hard water here and while we have a softener (can you say slick?) some people couldn't afford to have them put in. If the above is true, I may have just found a sub-market to handle both types of scrubs, or at least a practical excuse for buying bath salts.

Sami

Cari (had to go back and look to make sure I'm talking to the right one..lol

You need mroe than 6% ewax. 6% is a typical amount you would use in lotion, where the bulk of the product is water and the ewax only has to emulsify a small percentage of oils. Look at the safe range for your e-wax, and start your testing on the higher end. Lots of oils to emulsify, will take lots more e-wax to accomplish this.

Carrie - So, if we ever do meet, I'm gonna carry honey in my pocket and gonna squirt ya if you make me mad! LMAO! I do totally understand the mind thing.

I get the best results by letting the scrub mixture set for a day or 2 before adding sugar.

I actually make up a large batch( without sugar) , store it in a bucket and take out what I need to whip up for each fragrance

Bunny...Ok I will up the ewax. I try to use conditioning emulsifier when I have it on hand and I was told that I can use up to 10% with it in scrubs.

Gene...Well I never thought of storing it without the sugar. Does it help keep it longer?

Josie...Yea the soap does help hold it together better and it helps reduce some of the "oil slick" when your finished scrubing. I have used soap one time and really like the end result just not the before. I probally added to much soap. I'll have to try that again.

Thanks!

C

Bunny...Ok I will up the ewax. I try to use conditioning emulsifier when I have it on hand and I was told that I can use up to 10% with it in scrubs.

Gene...Well I never thought of storing it without the sugar. Does it help keep it longer?

Josie...Yea the soap does help hold it together better and it helps reduce some of the "oil slick" when your finished scrubing. I have used soap one time and really like the end result just not the before. I probally added to much soap. I'll have to try that again.

Thanks!

C

Probably not. I make 100 oz batch and whip it as needed. Letting it "set" for a day or 2 makes for a better finished product