I need something to cut STRAIGHT soaps......

Michi

that I can hopefully buy locally and pretty cheap. Anyone know of anything?

I've got these soap logs that I cannot cut straight to save my soul. :rolleyes:

They always look like I'm cutting them straight until I look at the bottoms and they are always fatter than my tops. grrrrrrr

I don't have much money and was hoping someone could recommend something I can either make or buy locally.

TIA

I don't know if you are cutting a slab or a loaf. But for my loaves right now I use a bread cutter. I bought it on a whim and love it. Has survived manymanymany uses.

For my slap, I can't help you much there. I'm never happy with the results. A professional cutter is on my wish(but will never have)list. I use a long piece of wood (or one of the sides from my Upland) and lay that on top of the slap to use for a guide.

Guest EMercier

I use a plastic miter box I bought at Home Depot $5 or $6 and then I bought a cutter at Marshall's for about $3.99. Saves on shipping. It cuts great for me.

If it's a log mold, then yes a miter box and simple cutter should work fine. If it's a slab mold, PM me with your email addy and when I get home I have a design for a cutter you can make yourself really inexpensively. I can send that to you if you are interested (if I can find it once I get home that is! lol)

Yep logs is what I'm trying to cut. ;)

Cool, a miter box should be easy enough to find here in my small town (no Home Depot near me).

And can I use a regular butcher knife with it, until I can find/get one of those pastry cutters?

Thanks!! :D

Yes, I use a drywall knife or a pastry cutter too. You can use existing soap bars as guides. When I started soaping, we had some old bars of Dial lying around. I figured since we aren't going to use them to wash with, may as well use them for cutting guides for my soaps. ROFL

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixylight

I use the one towards the bottom of this link...worked good so far and cheap!;)

http://www.conniescandles.com/colorssupplies.html

I've got 2 of these. Love them

Can this one be used with the wavy soap cutter? I love my wavy soap cutter that is why I haven't bought a slicer like the miter box at the hardware store, it doesn't fit in the space to cut.

Yep logs is what I'm trying to cut. ;)

Cool, a miter box should be easy enough to find here in my small town (no Home Depot near me).

And can I use a regular butcher knife with it, until I can find/get one of those pastry cutters?

Thanks!! :D

I used to use a mitre box with a soap cutter, knife, etc., and it never worked for me. Now I have a Delsie Cutter and it cuts the soap with a wire (a guitar string, to be exact). If I were to try the mitre box again, I would cut with a wire. I think you'll get the most accurate and smooth cut that way. Try making a wire cutter that is about a foot long with handles of some type on the end (like wrapping the wire around wood dowels so you have something to get your hands around). You don't HAVE to have guitar string, but they really do cut better than regulare wire.