Web sites

Hi Everyone ,

Looking for advice on building your own website ? What have others done? Looking to start slow and not pricey . What about name hosts ? I am so clueless about this stuff and need someone to walk me thru what i need to do ? I have checked out name availability for myself and its ok . I have looked at godaddy and seems good , is it?? Any advice appreciated for this clueless newbie. thanks Amy

I have been using www.lowesthosting.com for about 3 years now.

I have been very pleased with their service.

They are very quick to answer and help you if there is a problem or question.

Everything is done via email with a support ticket.

Domain name is $12.95 year and service is only $4.95 a month.

It only costs approx. $73.00 a year. You create your own website. But their service includes templates, email service, unlimited hits to you site, shopping carts etc.

I found it to be pretty easy to do and I am no computer wiz.

I guess they kinda made it idiot proof for people like me!!:grin2:

Great question! I've been looking around too. I signed up recently for Godaddy, and building my site with their website tonight was easy, so was their quick shopping cart. Got it up and running fairly quickly, I think, considering I had no clue what I was doing. Learned as I went. The one thing I don't like about their shopping cart is that it doesn't let the buyer choose to opt out of shipping if they want to pick up their order. You have to charge shipping to everyone or not at all... But other than that, so far I"m pleased with the service. Oh, and I wish my shopping cart were more integrated with the rest of my sight. There's a few thing about the template I picked that I wish I could tweak, but overall it had some fun features that other website builders didn't have... I have yet to find the perfect solution.

Anybody try Citymax?

I got my domain name (last year) from GoDaddy.com and though I haven't done anything yet with it, there was a post last week I believe with a hosting site that a LOT of people from here use that I think I'm gonna go with if I ever get going here. ;)

Let me see if I can find the link for ya, it had a lot of helpful info.

BRB....:tiptoe:

I definitely recommend DIY...they are the best for the price and what you get in return. I huge plus is their customer service. The cart system is so easy to use and has about every feature you could ever want...plus they are adding new features all the time.

I use Propay for accepting credit cards on my DIY site...then, I can use it at craft shows, as well...it works out well for me. Plus, on DIY you have a secure credit card server that collects all the customer's info for you. :)

• 6 months later...

I use webmasters.com. It is $9 a month but paid in advance. I got my domain for free hosting with them. They have several shopping carts to choose from, and you can get SSL for $60 a year. I am still working on my site and have to get the SSL added but am really happy with the service and the ease of getting it up and running.