Soy Body Butter

darci

I had seen some ISO posts for this kind of thing and thought I'd share a recipe that I'm over the moon on. :)

20.5 oz Soy Skin Butter (I get mine @ Kangaroo Blue)

4 oz Soy oil

2.5 oz Olive Oil

1 1/4oz Shea Butter

1/8 oz Squalane

1/8 oz FO

Melt in microwave in 45second bursts until butters are softened - 3 times does it for me. Then use a mixer/blender and blend until smooth, and starts to peak like whipped cream. Add FO

This makes about 32oz after being whipped. This is lighter and creamier than most body butters I've tried, sinks into skin quickly and isn't very greasy - leave on for a couple of minutes and you won't know it was greasy at all!

Guest EMercier

What's the purpose for the Squalane? Also can you sub something else for it?

Editing to add:

Here is what I saw on Kangaroo Blue's website:

Combine the following:

• 16 oz. of Soya Skin Butter
  • 2 oz. of Mango Butter
  • 2 oz. of Avocado Oil

This is another one they had posted besides the other one you posted, but what oil has the same properties as the avocado oil?

Guest EMercier

I read the site you gave. It's from the olive, isn't olive oil from the olive as well? I hope so, because I would feel really dumb if it isn't. :undecided ANWYAY, it's only a fraction of it in the butter anyway, so would that little bit make a difference? I want to make some of this with the jars I have coming.

I had tried the recipe as KB's website said (without the additional soy oil) and I didn't like the consistency. I wanted a creamier body butter. the added soy oil really makes a difference IMHO.

Soy butter inci: Soybean Oil (and) Hydrogenated Soybean Glycerides (and) Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (and) Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides ( and) Stearic Acid (and) Hydrogenated Soybean Oil (and) Plam Glycerides. - so yes, this is 'premixed' to some degree. it's in flake form like the soy wax you use for candles, but it's a cosmetic form.

Guest EMercier
For all the more Squalane that is in it, you can drop it and add it to the olive.

I may try this but without the Soya Skin Butter. Gonna try making my own Soy butter so that I can choose my own consistency!

Can't do anything til those jars get here though!

I know right! I wanted to try it and package it. I think I'll order the soy butter from KB and whip some up. I need to get some sample packets as well. I have three weeks until my show and so much to do. I need to get on the ball!

Guest EMercier

I wonder how it would come out if I used she instead of mango butter in the second recipe. Hmmmm, I could call is Double S butter. Shea and soy. I trademarked, don't you all go and use it! I'm just kidding! :D

• 1 month later...

I would add it.. But I'm a totaly freak about the what if's. What if you put his in a jar and they wash their hands and they are still damp when they scoop it out? There's water in the lotion. What if they leave the cap off and it's in the bathroom? It collects humidity and wham! There's water in it. Better be safe rather than sorry.

• 1 year later...

I don't know anything about making body butter...but I think I read somewhere that soy flakes (if you are talking about the type you make candles with) are not good for lotions..something to do with the way it is made,,it is not cosmetic safe...But maybe someone with alot more knowledge will have some answers.

I don't know anything about making body butter...but I think I read somewhere that soy flakes (if you are talking about the type you make candles with) are not good for lotions..something to do with the way it is made,,it is not cosmetic safe...But maybe someone with alot more knowledge will have some answers.

I tried it with EZsoy - don't go there, it wasn't the smooth whipped cream texture I'm used to - and also with the 100% Soy Flakes from BCN. the soy flakes were perfect, especially since I couldn't buy the Soya Skin Butter at KB the last time I looked.

HTH

• 4 months later...

Has anyone who's made this recipe had the problem with oil seperation? I have a clear oil that has seperated at the bottom of the jars that have been sitting in closet. I read through the post and no one has mentioned this.

Tasha

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for posting this as I want to switch my body butter jars but the ones I want to use can't have any water in them so this will be perfect.

This recipe looks great and I too want to use 100% soy flakes which I have (well I have the tiny pellets). So those who used soy flakes did you just put the amount of soy flakes in place of the soy skin butter or did you add anything else?

• 3 months later...

I use the the 100% Soy Wax from BCN in place of the KB Soy stuff and it works the same. My customers rave about this product.

I package it in push up tubes and recommend that they rub it on their feet (or wherever is rough, dry or cracked) at night and let it work while they sleep.