fragrance oil

You really should get a scale since some FOs are heavier than others and you really need to maintain consistency. Check out ebay for some really good deals on scales. Old Will knott is a supplier of scales that alot of folks have bought scales from. :)

I agree, some oils are heavier than others and really should be weighed. A scale that weighs in tenths of a ounce will work the best, one that has a tare feature and a stainless steel platform are nice things to have on it too. :D

I already have a scale but I didn't know about weighing the fo. I have a measuring cup that measures oz. So weighing the fo means I will be using quite a bit more. So what's is the reason for weighing rather than measuring oz?

I already have a scale but I didn't know about weighing the fo. I have a measuring cup that measures oz. So weighing the fo means I will be using quite a bit more. So what's is the reason for weighing rather than measuring oz?
Weighing is for consistency (because you can do it more accurately than measuring volume in a cup) or if you want to use percentage formulas. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

FO's don't always weigh the same. Some, like vanilla, are much heavier than say, fruit slices or clean cotton. If you're going to create a consistent product, you NEED to weigh them.

FO's don't always weigh the same. Some, like vanilla, are much heavier than say, fruit slices or clean cotton. If you're going to create a consistent product, you NEED to weigh them.
The different SGs of the oils don't have anything to do with consistency though. Consistency means using the same amount every time, regardless of whether you do it by volume or by weight. It's just easier to get the same amount by weighing it.

Also, if you want 6% FO per pound of wax, you need to weigh it so that you are getting 6%. Since FOs all have different weights, 6% of one FO will weigh less/more than 6% of another FO. If you want the proper amount per pound of wax, weighing it all out is the best way to go. It's not any harder than using a measuring cup. Just put the measuring cup on the scale and tare out and then put in your FO. You will have much more consistent results if you weight everything.

I agree with Top about the issue of consistency. If I use the same measuring cup each time to measure out .5 oz I would be consistent. I just won't be getting a true % of the oil. I'll have to try it this way and see what I think.

I know this isn't the right section to ask this, but while we are one the subject, does anyone know if this works the same way with making soap? Are EOs and FOs meant to be weighed for soap too.

Besides consistency, the other possible issue is whether percentage by weight is more meaningful than volume in terms of expressing how much FO the wax can hold. I haven't been able to find any technical information saying that's the case. I think the wax companies just talk about percentage by weight because that's the standard terminology of the industry. It's only a wild-ass guestimate anyway and will vary depending on (among other things) the compatibility of the FO with the wax.

Personally I use percentage formulas and weigh everything with a good scale, but if you're happy measuring your FO with a shot measure and you're satisfied with the results, you don't have to feel compelled to convert. One thing about making candles is everyone has their way of doing things.