Getting wax out of jars...

Hey all,

Newbie here! Yesterday I poured the ugliest candle ever & was wondering what is the safest way to get the wax out of the jar without breaking it. I would love to remelt & repour instead of just chunking it. I am using a 15 oz bulb jar. Also is it safe to remelt the wax since the scent & dyes have already been added?

Thanks,

Anne

Hey all,

Newbie here! Yesterday I poured the ugliest candle ever & was wondering what is the safest way to get the wax out of the jar without breaking it. I would love to remelt & repour instead of just chunking it. I am using a 15 oz bulb jar. Also is it safe to remelt the wax since the scent & dyes have already been added?

Thanks,

Anne

You can remelt it. I put mine on a cookie sheet in the oven, on about 165 degrees until it melts. Just leave it in there until the wax is all melted. I wick a new jar and pour the wax into it, just as you would do if you were pouring it fresh. Then I just clean up the old jar and mark it on the bottom for use as a tester, so I don't grab it for an order.

You can remelt it. I put mine on a cookie sheet in the oven, on about 165 degrees until it melts. Just leave it in there until the wax is all melted. I wick a new jar and pour the wax into it, just as you would do if you were pouring it fresh. Then I just clean up the old jar and mark it on the bottom for use as a tester, so I don't grab it for an order.
Me too and then I put the hot jar upside down on a paper towel to get out every last drop and after it cools wash in hot soapy water. Good as new!

Dixie

I usually take a knife, and "drill" a hole in the center of the wax, then make circular cuts and dig it out into my pour pot. Once the hole gets p big enough, I can cut down into the remainder and it comes out in chunks away from the glass.

It probably is not the safest way to remove wax, but hey, I'm just a stinky old guy :D

geek

I usually take a knife, and "drill" a hole in the center of the wax, then make circular cuts and dig it out into my pour pot. Once the hole gets p big enough, I can cut down into the remainder and it comes out in chunks away from the glass.

It probably is not the safest way to remove wax, but hey, I'm just a stinky old guy :D

geek

Sounds like too much work to me. I have broken jars trying to get the wick out even after soaking in hot water so be careful!

Dixie

geek

I tried that once Geek and I busted the jar, trying to get the wicks out :( . Much safer to melt, at least for me.

geek

I guess I'm a stinky old gal, then. This is what I usually do, too, if the jar is fairly full. After removing the wax, I put the jar upside down on a paper lined cookie sheet and put in a warm oven to melt out the remainder of the wax.

geek

YEP, another stinky ol gal here :yes:. Haven't broke a one. And never really have that much wax left over to have to "melt" out though. I just wipe it w/a paper towel, wash it w/lots of soappy water, and re-use it. Sometimes I'll run it through the dishwasher.

I just loaded the oven up yesterday with old tester jars on two sheet pans. 170 degrees for about an hour turns them to liquid, pour it out into the trashcan, use a spoon to remove the wick tab if it has one, a few paper towels to get the wax out then into the dishwasher they go.

Thanks for the info!

I melted the wax in the stove on 170-worked like a charm! Probably not the best idea for me to dig the wax out with a knife-I am not very coordinated & I like having 10 fingers.icon10.gif

Thanks again,

Anne