I get to do candles for my 20th class reunion.....

and need some ideas guys!!

It's going to be a Hawaiian theme, and we're putting candles as centerpieces and maybe a couple of others at the welcome table, etc.

I wanted to come up with something that stands out, you know show off my stuff. :D

I've got just about 5 1/2 months to perfect whatever it is I finally come up with, but I'm drawing a blank here.

So come on everyone jump in and give some ideas! :grin2:

Wow thats great.... So are you wanting to do pillars or jars.

For pillars how about a palm tree embeded into it. Hibiscus floating candles would be cool too. Okay so thats all the things I can think of. I don't have my creative thinking cap on today. LOL

Hurricane shells with old photos embedded from Your High School Days. Then People could order ones with photos from the reunion? Coconut shells would be a good idea, and seashells with candles made in them would also go with the theme. Embed seashells and or little starfish in containers? Sand candles? Hawaii is famous for Pineapples and coconuts, so I'd use thoses scents.

Since Hawaiian is from Hawaii, I'd ask her. I'm sure she'd have a ton of suggestions.

Sounds like fun!

I really like the coconut container idea.

The container wrapped with a lei is neat too.

My 1st thought was Oriental Trading Co. for Luau type stuff.

This http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=categoryDisplay.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&sku=34/758&mode=Browsing&catDestinationJSP=/browse/categoryForward.jsp?categoryId=342807

looked cool & could probably be duplicated pretty easily.

I am not sure which supplier it was, but someone had some of the coconut shells available in bulk at one time. Maybe someone will remember it.

Not sure why, but in Hawaii I see those Cinnamon stick candles everywhere also. Anyone know why? Doesn't seem too "Hawaiian" to me.

I wouldn't suggest anything scented on the tables ( I think that it might be OK at the welcoming table) if it is a dinner/banquet, but you have a great theme to play with!

I really like the idea about doing hurricanes with old class photos in them...you can scan from a yearbook and then embed some hibiscus flowers or others in with them. Maybe some tiki pillars. Sounds fun and is giving me ideas for my 20 year reunion :D

Hurricanes would be cool, but I only do container candles. ;)

It's a buffet style dinner, but yes people will be sitting at the tables eating etc. but I still want to do scented candles (I just can't bring myself to make candles without scent ya know?).

Funny you should mention about Oriental Trading, cuz I just got their catalog yesterday that was full of "Hawaiian" themed stuff! I found some coconut halves that they sell with tealights in them, and was thinking that I could just fill those.

Of course I have NO idea how a real coconut shell will hold up under the heat of a flame and hot wax????

I'm kinda liking the idea of maybe doing a Hawaiian themed label with our class year and this years date on it or something. What do you think?

I had a coconut container candle that I let burn and forgot about it. Burned all the way down and cought on fire, set off the smoke alarm. Flames were flying at my shower curtain. Only two things I know from mishaps is no coconut containers and no coffee beans in candles.

I'm kinda liking the idea of maybe doing a Hawaiian themed label with our class year and this years date on it or something. What do you think?

I think you are right on target. Since you do container candles focus on the label. For my DIL, I made her a gift basket and I used the design on her bathroom accessories to scan and print out on clear label sheets and then cut so it covered most of the jar. I used container palm wax in subdued coordinating colors and if I do say so myself they turned out beautifully.

With the label you have infinite possibilities.