Anyone successfully single wick 10oz

Well because, just as I figured, it is not doing as well on the 3rd burn. I think I need a hair hotter than the RRD47. So I was looking for other suggestions "just in case" I am always one to expect the worst and be ready to deal with it.

Patricia

LOL! I see. In that case I would just try the next size up. Do you have any wicks, like the CD, LX or HTP? Those work very well in soy and you have a wider variety in some of them to get exactly the burn you're going for. I personally use HTP's, but have not wicked that particular jar. What is the widest diameter of the jar?

The diameter is 3.5" I am thinking a RRD50 will do it. I may try the HTP123 (i think that is next up from 105...) I dont want to use the HTP1212 that thing is a torch!!

It is burning now and not drowning but there is wax hangup pretty good about 1/8 - 1/4 inch from the edges. I have a throw but no melt pool to speak of (less than 1/8 inch)

Patricia

ps I used the heavest oil I have (KY southern vanilla at 7.7 oz wax .5oz FO)

The diameter is 3.5" I am thinking a RRD50 will do it. I may try the HTP123 (i think that is next up from 105...) I dont want to use the HTP1212 that thing is a torch!!

It is burning now and not drowning but there is wax hangup pretty good about 1/8 - 1/4 inch from the edges. I have a throw but no melt pool to speak of (less than 1/8 inch)

Patricia

ps I used the heavest oil I have (KY southern vanilla at 7.7 oz wax .5oz FO)

It sound weird, but the size range on HTPs from 105 up go like this: HTP105, 1212, 1312, 126.

If you're using an RRD47, you can jump up to a 50 or 55, which is the biggest. Unfortunately RRDs don't have a wide range of sizes. I never had luck single wicking 10 oz keepsakes, which were called apothecaries at Candlemaker's Store. I would double wick with HTPs or LXs.

geek

You prolly won't be able to single wick, like Geekrunner said. Soy is a tougher wax to burn and requires different wicking. Everything 3" and up, I normally double wick, and I really like the look of a double wicked jar. A jar like that I would double wick with HTP73 or 83 to start. Any single wick that would come close would probably mushroom like crazy.

Doesn't it go from HTP 105, 126, 1212 then 1312?

I found a wick chart somewhere that shows the grams/hour consumption rate for HTPs and it shows the 126 as the biggest consumer. I saved a copy on an Excel sheet if anyone wants it. It includes other wicks as well. Just PM me!

geek

• 3 weeks later...