Parties, farmers markets, and craft fairs?

Jeana

I am curious of what type of stock, on average, people bring to these affairs. I know some of it depends on the amount of people expected to be there, but I could use some advice of how much to bring. :confused:

I think that is a very broad question. A lot of it depends, like you said, on what kind of turnout you have.

I sell about 60 bars a Sat. at our Farmer's Market. Christmas craft shows about 120 bars a day. The soap parties vary depending on the turn-out. This year I have decided to take a lot of inventory to soap parties that way because can bag it, pay, and go. No waiting for an order. I will take about 15 bars of each kind of soap that I make (about 30 different scents). I will see how that works for my first Christmas soap party.

The best advise that I can give is to keep track of your shows and what you sell when and where. If you keep track you have a good idea for following shows.

Have fun!

Jennifer

I asked this same question awhile back since I have my first craft show coming up in september. The replies are received varied greatly, but most everyone agreed that you should take everything that you have in stock. I have decided to take 24 pumpkin jars, and 6 of each size of each scent that I offer (I have about 25 scents). We will see what happens. My only fear now is that I won't have time to stock everything up with everything else I have going on. If I don't, I will just take what I have and see what happens!

I make mine in 3s. I carry 40 scents in candles and take 3 of each. I do not remake any scents(with the exception of my 10 best sellers I always have at least 6 at the start of every show) until the 3 are gone. I have 6oz Hex jars and 4oz tins. My 8oz tins and 16oz apothecary jars are done in 2s.

I found in the last 2 years of doing shows( I do 3-4 month from Sept-Nov) that I never have enough time to build every scent back to the same level. I take a pre show inventory..and a post show inventory..make notes of any I run out of and that becomes my make list for the week. It works great for me. This may not work with 10 scents, but with all mine it works out great. My stock stays rotated and I dont end up with 10 Blueberry Cobbler(or whatever scent didnt sell) at the end of the year.

HTH

I did one of the biggest shows around and it was so so.Busy but not like I would have thought.Kinda off and on.Did a small show for one day and didn't stop.Sold about the same as with the amount of customers.Also it was one day.I like those days.Quick and not there forever.

I am taking less this year to the one and what is left over will take to the other unless a certain scent is selling better.Then will make more.I do offer about 60 scents but to tell the truth all sell about the same.I will not do the perfumey ones as they don't sell.The food ones and the fruit ones sell.Creme Brulee and Sugar Cookie were tops.Did find that one lady wanted 4 of one scent.I only had 2.Her house was so big.She wanted a strong smelling candle.She did though settle after smelling all for the pecan pie and grandma's kitchen.She wanted it throughout the whole house but from what I have been told about my candles one does their whole house.

The one I sold alot was a small town and I think the people were so supporative of us vendors and the crafters were all over the town at different places.Churches etc,I was at the tail end but it was OK for me.I know some did not do as good.I will say all vendors were in the paper and some of what each had.Also location etc.That was real nice.

I only do craft shows but have thought about a OPEN HOUSE

Well I have never had a OPEN HOUSE so will tell some of what one is.Just like a craft show but you have it at your house.Set up all your candle/bath and body and sell them.Have some refreshments and all your company info out in case they don't buy you can give a business card, brochure etc.Also advertise in all the papers and in stores.Around here a few will get together and have a sale in one of the homes.One may have woodcrafts, another AVON, someone candles, some sew vests etc. or just do it yourself.Send out invitations to family, friends and neighbors.I would make a sign a couple days ahead(at your house) when the sale will be.So many will wait till the day.I think wise to do a few days ahead.

Offer incenatives.Like if you buy 3 candles get one 1/2 price.Etc.Come up with what you want.Open Houses are popular around holidays so people decorate for that occasion.Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas.You could even have a spring one with the springy scents.