Marketing idea---luxury candles?

younggrasshper

Aaah, yes, Diptyque. I hope to be their competitor in 5-10 years!! LOL I clicked on the Oyedo candle, and the pic shows the container with big wet spots! $48 should buy a PERFECT candle, IMO.

Edited to say: Hell, ALL the containers have big wet spots

omg.. they sure do have wet spots, oh that's a no-no for luxury! I guess since they are made from "France" makes it seem more luxury - not! just go to Pier One, LOL plenty of imports there!!:rolleyes2

Exactly! A lot of people love the 'country' or 'cottage' style candles and fragrances. Those aren't my style at all. And where I live (New Orleans) most folks would probably be more inclined to buy a sophisticated Diptyque rather than a Country Apple Pie. Merely a matter of geography. But neither the sophisticated or cottage style spender should be called 'stupid.' After all, there is a market out there for them, right?:)

Yep and where I love people are more interested in country or cottage style, I prefer the herbals and these peeps prefer bakery....have to make what the market goes for...

One of my dreams/goals is to develop a high end container candle line with custom blended fragrances and join the FANTASTIC candles available at the Forty-Five Ten in Dallas. They carry the BEST...even better than Amen Wardy ( if you can believe that) www.fortyfiveten.com

To me.....candles are like chocolate. Once you have had the best...it is very hard to go back to anything else. I have purchased some really nice candles and even though I LOVE nice packaging, what attracted me to the Diptyque line is their fragrances.They also make frags to wear.....and I won't get started on THAT addiction.

I believe with all my heart that I could make a candle better than Diptyque already IF I had their FOs. That is what makes them special. Actually, the packaging is weak compaired to what is available . The marketing has been nothing short of brilliant.

I don't know about you guys...but my challenge is finding the FOs that match the quality that I find in high end candles. They just don't carry Apple Peel and Jack or anything else that seems to be available to us. BUT, I am working on it!!!!!

Grumpy, your votive is DEAD ON!!!!! AWESOME throw!

It's all marketing. Hire a good company to push your candles and ONLY sell to high-end places. Appearance/packaging are also part of the appeal. It also helps to have a good product, but IMO that ends up being secondary. If someone's got money to burn, they'll only buy at high end stores, and don't give a hoot how much the candle costs.

Yep. And just the fact that they're priced so high will mean that they're percieved as being better. I've seen times when a person with a better product got outsold by one who's product was of lesser quality, but priced higher, so people assumed the more expensive ones were better. This was back when I was doing leather work, years ago.

Yep. And just the fact that they're priced so high will mean that they're percieved as being better. I've seen times when a person with a better product got outsold by one who's product was of lesser quality, but priced higher, so people assumed the more expensive ones were better. This was back when I was doing leather work, years ago.

I fully agree with this statement. I can go up against Yankme anytime and win because my F/O are stronger with a cleaner edge. I thinki ANY OF US COULD! And we's all win hands down! But because Yankme has that huge PR department and so called reputation (NOT!), they beat our sales.

I know I can go up against Golden Canyon and have at several shows! The GC rep generally packs up early and calls it a show.

I'll never have the money to by a $52.00 candle because I'd rather spend that money on improving my own candles! JMO:yes:

I saw the candles they offer and I have one in my house. It was a gift. I pay for luxury items all the time and I am not rich. You just have to create a product that really does what it says and looks good. I won't buy evevrything that costs alot but it is always nice to own some of those 500$ bags and shoes and dress and even candles.

they also have a bar of soap for $38.00, I am going right now to raise the prices on my website:DIt is a clay bar, I make a wonderful clay bar. Hummm...I do believe in the power of marketing, I have watched it over and over again, a soaper starts doing a show that I do and she will drop her prices down to $3.00 a bar etc. and she has a hard time getting rid of them, a lot of people have the mind set more is better, fine by me.

The other comment I have is that people are spending $$$$, I over doubled my sales last year and only added one new show. People want "luxury" to unwind from their hectic day to day schedule.

Now..I am not saying I would pay over $30 for a candle but there are some things that I will only buy the best of and I "have" to have it, know what I mean:D

......but my challenge is finding the FOs that match the quality that I find in high end candles. They just don't carry Apple Peel and Jack or anything else that seems to be available to us. BUT, I am working on it!!!!!...

A lot of those companies have their fragrances blended using much more expensive ingredients - absolutes and concretes, along with the usual aromatic chemicals and essential oils that we think of. Yum, vanilla absolute, with a bit of rose....

Top & Robin stated a perfect point! Using my products as an example...I carry a 15 oz. rectangle soy jar candle, it retails for $22.95. Most "frugal" customers that express an interest in my products, balk about the price...but they want "quality". On the other hand, I can place these jars in a high end gift shop and the owner will sell them for $34.95 and I'm constantly restocking their shelves. To make a long story short, people with money will not complain about a higher priced item especially if they know their getting more bang for their buck. People on a limited income cannot fatham paying that much for something "they think" they can get of similar quality for a lot cheaper. I believe in the old saying "you cannot compare apples to oranges", whether it be a candle or a piece of fruit, when you find something that satisfies your needs and appeals to your senses you will pay almost anything for it.

You have to understand also, that a lot of those high end pricey candles probably have essential oils instead of synthetic oils incorporated into them. Essential oils are natural, cost more and the consumer with money is drawen to items of that quality and wouldn't bat an eyelash at the price.