Marketing idea---luxury candles?

younggrasshper

It's all marketing. Hire a good company to push your candles and ONLY sell to high-end places. Appearance/packaging are also part of the appeal. It also helps to have a good product, but IMO that ends up being secondary. If someone's got money to burn, they'll only buy at high end stores, and don't give a hoot how much the candle costs.

I wish I could afford that kind of thing, but I don't think that will ever happen! Even if I did have the money, I'm a bargain hunter, I never pay full price for stuff at Target.....Wouldn't be able to bring myself to pay that much for anything!
They aren't so much for people worried about paying too much. They are for people who wouldn't pay less.

I also know candle lovers who make an ordinary income but buy them occasionally. People who live in urban areas where the incomes are on the higher side (and high-end stores abound) like to splurge on things from time to time. Despite the fact that half their income goes to pay the rent.

Here in NYC Diptyque is sold at Barney's. The clientele is on the upscale side but a lot of young professionals shop there too.

That is insanity!!!! You have to be smoking something cheap to spend that kinda money on a candle. I don't give a rat's butt where it came from and who's selling them. That thing better last for freakin' ever.

My sentiments exactly! Wow those no price on stupidity.

There is no objective definition of what a candle is worth. This is a good discussion in which to consider whether reality creates your beliefs or your beliefs create reality.

It's about geography to some extent, it's certainly about economics, but it's to a great extent about perception and marketing. If you value the product low yourself, you're frugal about your materials, and you decide expensive packaging isn't worth it, etc., that's all perfectly valid. However, it simply determines your place in the scheme of things, because you'll be attracting the customers who share your perceptions. People who like to buy valuable things and have the means won't be interested in your product.

You'll probably be making a smaller profit and calling people stupid, LOL.

There is no objective definition of what a candle is worth. This is a good discussion in which to consider whether reality creates your beliefs or your beliefs create reality.

It's about geography to some extent, it's certainly about economics, but it's to a great extent about perception and marketing. If you value the product low yourself, you're frugal about your materials, and you decide expensive packaging isn't worth it, etc., that's all perfectly valid. However, it simply determines your place in the scheme of things, because you'll be attracting the customers who share your perceptions. People who like to buy valuable things and have the means won't be interested in your product.

You'll probably be making a smaller profit and calling people stupid, LOL.

Exactly! A lot of people love the 'country' or 'cottage' style candles and fragrances. Those aren't my style at all. And where I live (New Orleans) most folks would probably be more inclined to buy a sophisticated Diptyque rather than a Country Apple Pie. Merely a matter of geography. But neither the sophisticated or cottage style spender should be called 'stupid.' After all, there is a market out there for them, right?:)

Oh, I agree.. it is all about the market you are working in and the people who buy these are NOT worried about price. ...

check this out! I did a search on the site for candles and then clicked on this one to see what would cost this much.. is in a pure crystal holder.. very pretty but not sure it is worth this much to me.. is only 4" tall..

http://www.eluxury.com/browse/product_detail.jhtml?styleid=10192923

reading the description though.. I guess it is more about WHO makes it than the candle itself.

cool site! I love looking at stuff like this... :)

I would never buy a Diptyque, but if someone had the FO, I sure would make myself one. I figure that is one of my perks as a chandler.

I am absolutely crazy about WSP's Lavender Acacia "Blend of Lavender, Lemon, Light Eucalyptus. Compared to: Le Couvent des Minimes" I bought the Body Creme at BB&W for Christmas and now have the candle to go with it. It is very soft, relaxing, and I light the candle for a while every night before I go to bed.

They do have dupes of the scents, and I do make them now. I don't buy them anymore. But before I made candles I sure did. The dupes I've found are pretty dead on, but I've only seen two that I know of. For the votive swap that The Dallas Dean hosted recently, I make Diptyque Baies dupes. Pretty dead on if I do say so myself.

I never paid $52 for a Diptyque candle. Never. If you search Ebay you can find them from $15 to $40 all day long. I never had one soot but I did keep the wicks trimmed, the throw was great, it did smell up my entire apartment at the time, but I doubt seriously if one would scent my house now. I have tripled my living area since then.

Buying Diptyque candles for me, are like indulging in Manolo Blanc pumps... You don't buy the entire store out, you just treat yourself occasionally. I'll stay away from the subject of $600 pumps though. It could cause a war.

I don't care how rich I get, I would never!!!!! I used to be a huge fan of Bath and Body Works and my hubby would fuss at me for paying 20.00 for a "silly" candle :rolleyes2

btw, Target candles sucks! totally tunnels/wax hangups, yuk!