Bath bombs and citric acid

cybersix

Hi, I'm new to B&B, but I read about making bath bombs so I thought I could give it a try.

Today I went to a pharmacy and asked for citric acid.

They didn't have it, and asked me why I need it.

I explained the thing, the lady told me I can only use baking soda adn the bombs would frizzle the same.. is it possible or she didn't know wha I was talking about?

TIA

Oh hunny dont buy it at a drug store, it will cost you an arm and a leg, you will get cosmetic grade rather then food grade, check with a home wine making place or order it online from a supplier.

You definatly need it for the fizz factor, baking soda is just not the same.

You definitely need a combo of baking soda and citric acid for the bomb to fizz. When the bomb is dissolved in water, there is a reaction between the citric acid and baking soda causing carbon dioxide to be released into the water. This causes the bubbles you see, similar to a carbonated soda.

There are a few places online where you can order citric acid. You will probably come out cheaper than buying from someplace local. I don't know where you live; re shipping costs, but you can try http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus or http://mystifyyoursenses.com.

HTH

Shani:)

Thanks to all for your answers!!!

I live in italy, so for the first experiment I will buy it here in a pharmacy or something.

I just wanted to ask you, I found a recipe on an italian site, I will try to convert quantities in your metric system, can you please tell me how much (more or less) finished product will I have? It is a good recipe? I cannot figure it. The recipe is:

-8.5 oz baking soda

-5.6 oz citric acid

-0.5 oz sweet almond oil

-5-8 drops of food colorant

-10 drops of FO

What do you think about it?

I thought to try this because I have all the ingredient besides CA!

Most recipes call for an additional filler, such as cornstarch or salts of some type, in about the same amount as the citric. Also, if no water or witch hazel is called for, I'm not sure that only 1/2 oz (about 1 tbsp) of oil, along with the fragrance and color, will be enough liquid. You need to get the mixture moist enough to hold together (like making a sand castle); moist but not too wet.

Thanks Carol, I think I will read some other recipe posted here.

So this is not a good recipe?

I don't know what witch hazel is, but how much water would you suggest to add to this moisture?

Many thanks!

Most recipes call for an additional filler, such as cornstarch or salts of some type, in about the same amount as the citric. Also, if no water or witch hazel is called for, I'm not sure that only 1/2 oz (about 1 tbsp) of oil, along with the fragrance and color, will be enough liquid. You need to get the mixture moist enough to hold together (like making a sand castle); moist but not too wet.

Just go to the recipe section and look at the recipe(s) there. I am by no means a bath bomb expert, but I just noticed that the other recipes seem to have some things in common that your recipe was lacking. But I do know that you don't want to overdo the liquid part; that causes the citric acid to activate and start fizzing prematurely.:rolleyes2 Supposedly once you make them a few times, you get a "feel" for when the moisture level is right, but I haven't done them that much.

I have a lavender farm and I make lavender scented bath bombs all the time to sell in our farm shop. This is the recipe I use.

1 kilo (2.2 lb) baking soda

400 grams (14 ozs) citric acid

Mix well in bowl (I use the kitchen whizz but for smaller amounts use a knife)

Keeping stirring add

10 tablespoons (150 mls - 5 fl ozs) of an oil (I use sweet almond oil)

Dribble in SLOWLY

2 tablespoons lavender essential oil (or whatever ess oil you want)

Keep stirring, spray with witch hazel - as someone else said you get the 'feel' when it's right. I probably would use a couple of teaspoons full.

Then pack tightly in your moulds.

I make bath 'cookies' I press them into a circular mould bigger slightly bigger than but same shape and shallowness of a milk bottle top and bath 'muffins'. To do these I put paper muffin cases inside the metal muffin tray holes and press them in there. Leave in the hot water cupboard overnight. It doesn't matter if they start fizzing a little as you're making them. They settle down after they've dried out.

I'm in New Zealand so hope you all understand - I know we use same words for different things :smiley2:

I buy my baking soda and citric acid in a bulk bin type grocery store. I use Grosso oil as it is fairly strong in scent.

Hope this helps

Ann