Why goat's milk?

donna4909

I believe Goat's Milk has more fat, making it creamier. It has a natural glycerin also. It just feels wonderful on the skin.

I've never heard of Cow's Milk soap. lol

I use Goat's Milk Soap from Canus. It is very rich, lathery, creamy, non-irritating. Probably the first soap I have ever used with no side affects.

Goat's Milk soothes irritated skin, good for dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema.

I am actually looking for a good base of Goat's Milk Soap. Most I see don't seem to have enough Goat's Milk in it as far as I, as a consumer, think it is supposed to have.

I wish I had more info for you, but I have just started investigating this.

Fern-Marie

Sorry to but in but I have a question as far as goats milk goes....I got some powdered goats milk, is that just as good? And dont mean to sound dumb but how do I use it? Do I keep it as a powder or do I add water with it...and when do I put it in?

Sorry again for butting in and all the questions, but thanks for the help.

Angied

Sorry to but in but I have a question as far as goats milk goes....I got some powdered goats milk, is that just as good? And dont mean to sound dumb but how do I use it? Do I keep it as a powder or do I add water with it...and when do I put it in?

Sorry again for butting in and all the questions, but thanks for the help.

Angied

Angie, this might help

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13957&highlight=powdered+goat+milk

I remembered something else that I read about Goat's Milk: the ph level is the closest thing to humans, which I imagine makes it that much less irritating to sensitive skin.

I know that my mother, in her younger days, a.k.a "the oldern days", used to use powdered milk in baths. I have never tried it, but it was very popular at one time. So, I guess that would substitute for cow's milk soap, eh?

I would try a cow's milk product, why not, we drink it. I like cows! lol

Milk Bath, as a bubble bath additive, was very popular at one time, like in the 70's. I don't know which animal provided the milk though.

I remember back in the 80's something came out about using plain yogurt for yeast infections, and women were using it - some still do, and not orally.

This, by the way, still makes me laugh. Can you imagine! lol

...and no, I never tried that either!

• 2 months later...

Yeast is generally caused by an imbalance in the acidopholus (sp) and good bacteria in the system. Yogurt is abundant in the good bacteria our body needs, hence the recommendation to eat yogurt while on antibiotics (as they destroy the good bacteria and promote yeast infections) That's why the yogurt "down there" works.

Back on topic, I used goats milk last night and LOVE it! I am not sure whether its' from the goatsmilk or not, but the lather was amazing!!! VERY CREAMY. I also used yogurt and lard. Ive used the lard before but upped the percentage, it seems to make the HP smoother and less clumpy, not sure if this is coincidence with the few batches I've used it with. A first for the yogurt as well, but I have to say I like it :cool2:

I make both kinds of soap and they're both very nice. I use cow's (buttermilk) in my Oatmeal, Milk & Honey soap. Then I make a soap using 100% goat's milk in place of the water. Nice creamy lather.

To answer the original question -- why goat's milk instead of cow's? Goat's milk is naturally homogenized. The fat globules stay fairly evenly suspended throughout the milk, as opposed to cow's milk, where the cream separates and rises to the top. So if you're a dairy farmer and you want to make soap, goat's milk will be easier because of the fat not separating as much. And the fat content is what makes nice soap. The milks richest in fats are what you want for the nice qualities they bring to the soap. I know one soaper in Canada who uses sheep's milk because it's rich in fat.

Edited to add: P.S. Goat's milk has great label appeal if you sell soap. LOL

I have to agree that goat'smilk has great label appeal. Most of my recipes are with 100% goatsmilk now. It took me awhile to get light bone colored bars .. it's all about trial & error.

When you shower or bathe with a bar of goatmilk soap you will be amazed how soft & conditioned your skin feels. Any kind of milk makes great soap.