Correct me if Im wrong

cable_stacy

Not too sure on the subject, but isnt Avon and Home & Garden a little similar to selling like we do. I understand that the product doesnt come direct from thier home, but shouldnt they have a license to sell? Or I suppose that is covered by the company itself? Im not reffering to taxes and such. Just the zoning laws and permits. I just dont understand why I go through the hassle of getting a permit when they dont need to. I am sure people selling Avon are making alot more money than I am right now;)

I think it depends on your city/county regulations. The county I live in does not require a business license. The city that I work in (where I would have a shop if I opened one) bases need for a business license on how much your gross sales are per year. If you do less than $3500 you don't need a business license. Also, I believe as a former (years ago) Avon rep. you don't need a license because you are a sales rep for the company, not the company itself. If you hired sales reps for your own candle company they wouldn't be required to have a business license because the company would have one. Again, you should definitely check with your city/county offices to find out exactly what your regulations are.

Another difference is when you're selling Avon you're not manufacturing anything. When you making soaps and candles you are.

When you sell those other products, most of your business is conducted outside of your own home--you have to travel to visit clients and deliver orders.

Another difference is when you're selling Avon you're not manufacturing anything.

I agree w/ Sockmonkey, I think it does have to do with the actual manufacturing of something in your house.

The county I live in doesn't require me to have a business license, BUT I'm not allowed to store supplies OR finished products in my house. If I ordered supplies only when I had an order, then shipped or delivered the order right away I'd be ok.

I would definitely contact your county/city and ask. Good luck.

I know a few people who sell/used to sell Avon/Mary Kay products. They didn't need to get any special license. Maybe it was because they were considered like an employee/independent contractor doing a sales job, rather than a business owner.

I used to sell Mary Kay and I never had to get a license to do sales out of my home and I used to teach skin care every Friday or Saturday night, It is like sudsnwicks said.

I wish it were this easy with candles....LOL