Question on embedding photos

I am going to attempt to make a hurricane candle with a photo embedded. I just think those are so neat. I am going to order me some hurricane wax. I already have the stearic at home. I am just going to play around with the mold I have right now and get the photo embedding part down first and then order me some more molds. Anyway, question is Do you spray your photo with anything so the ink does not run? I have an inkjet printer. I would assume that the colors would run when inserting into wax but not sure. Anything else I need to make these? I have been reading up on these. I wanted to make a few with my kids photos in them. Thanks in advance.

Also do you use UA in the wax to protect the photo from fading? (can you tell I have never done this?)

No you don't need to treat the picture with anything. Water will make it run, but not wax. I have never used any UA or any other addative and I've never had a problem. I just use straight Hurricane wax and a pic. If you just want to practice til your 'cane wax comes in, you can use pillar wax. It wouldn't work in the long run because the heat from the candle will melt and possibly warp the walls, but it'd work for practice purposes.

No need to worry about the ink.

Great thing about hurricanes, no waste. If it doesn't turn out like you wanted it to, just peel that picture off, re-melt the wax and you can even reuse the picture, done it many times. I just use a knife to get under the corner of the picture and peel it right off.

You'll be surprised just how easy these really are to do.

Thank you very much for the tips and help. I will post a pic of my first one. Probably be in about another two weeks but I am hoping just to play around this weekend. Have a supplier for the wax about 2 hours away from me and always get it the next day after I order. Don't have time to drive and pick it up though. (work all day, school at night) So hopefully I can play this weekend.

No you don't need to treat the picture with anything. Water will make it run, but not wax. I have never used any UA or any other addative and I've never had a problem. I just use straight Hurricane wax and a pic. If you just want to practice til your 'cane wax comes in, you can use pillar wax. It wouldn't work in the long run because the heat from the candle will melt and possibly warp the walls, but it'd work for practice purposes.

You use the term hurricane wax; is this a special wax??

Also do you use UA in the wax to protect the photo from fading?

I'm assuming you mean UV, not UA.

UA = Universal Additive

UV = Ultraviolet inhibitor

I don't add anything to mine, that includes stearic, mold release or anything. I do spray the mold though with Pam(generic).

Also, on the paper, as well as Bright White, 24# paper works much better.