Label Design Help Wanted: Rough Draft Posted

Grumpy Girl

I need label help. I don't have a layout and I want to stick to something simple. I'm at a loss for simple ideas. My laser printer is only B&W and until I find a color laser for under $500, I'm stuck with it. I'm at a loss where to begin, which is unusual for me. Someone help dig me out of this hole please, maybe smack me around a bit?

Please and thank you.

I need label help. I don't have a layout and I want to stick to something simple. I'm at a loss for simple ideas. My laser printer is only B&W and until I find a color laser for under $500, I'm stuck with it. I'm at a loss where to begin, which is unusual for me. Someone help dig me out of this hole please, maybe smack me around a bit?

Please and thank you.

*SLAP*...snap out of it girl! You are very creative from what I have seen.

I think Prarie Annie does logos. I know there are a few gals on The Dish that do logos. I think there are some of them that will print your labels for you....or you can get them to design an overall label and then take it to a local printer to mass produce your labels.

As far as a printer goes. You can get awesome color inkjet printers for less than $100 at Walmart or Staples. I got my Color Laser printer from Staples for $299.

Whew, thanks for the beating Kimberly. Much appreciated girl. I have a logo, but she's in color. So.... I'm trying to go for the minimalist look for soap labels and for candle labels at the moment. I suppose I could just use the logo and see how bad it looks in B&W. I hated using Kinkos for my business cards. Been there, done that and they were just awful. I refused the order, they were that bad.

Money sucks for large ticket items for the next three to four weeks. I was hoping I could think of something in the meantime... and honestly to keep my costs low, I was hoping to go with B&W... but it might look too cheezy.

No Prob Gump...glad to do it!..lol

90% of my B&B labels are black and white. I dont think you will have a problem if you incorporate that into your packaging. I do colors that will accent B&W labels. My packaging is a mixture of WHite, clear or frosted jars...with black or silver lids.

I think you will be fine in B&W!

Do you really need a laser printer? I use an Epson R800 photo printer for everything and I'd put the quality far above any color laser printer in the same price range. Mine was $400 about a year or so ago.

Don't know for sure but you might be able to deduct it as a business expense on your taxes.

I had some help from Prairieannie with changing the font type around and the soap label looks pretty good with some "funky lettering." I still need to devote a lot more time to my overall design and layout. Thanks for all the offers for help with a logo. I'll be looking into that eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a almost new Epson Stylus with dried out printer heads I'm going to be cleaning this week. I decided that black and white wasn't going to be possible, so if I can't fix my old printer, I'll buy another inkjet or color laser in a few weeks.

Okay, so.... after much cussing with Photoshop, I have a starting point:

GG-Base-Label.jpg

Now, could you guys help pick it apart with me? Don't worry, I'm not thin skinned at all. ;) Let 'er rip.

I'm thinking I need background color; some wild, mad color. (I have the original .psd file in multi layer format, which means it's easy as hell to edit individual things in this layout.) Whimsical is my focus here... Fun but classy... is that a tall order?

I also don't partic. care for where I put the scent label. It's not balanced to me. Also, I'm not sure about the font. I like it, it's cute, but does it work?

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth, LOL! The font to me doesn't fit, it doesn't "look" grumpy, it reminds me of lamp-posts, on a walk through an old timey downtown. The scent tag, not sure I would go with the background behind it. Maybe a little larger lettering and kill the background. It's hard to get a good balance, because once you do, you have to change to a new label size and redo it all over again, LOL! I do like your grumpy girl though, she rocks!

Here are my thoughts...I like the font, but I would shift the text in a way so that the "tail" of the Y isn't bumping into the & sign.

I would also try using a simple stick figure instead of the cartoon character you have. Stick figures are kind of in now--they're even using them in commercials. Another plus of using a stick figure is that you can get away with just using black and white labels. You can jazz them up a little by adding a checkerboard pattern border around the scent or as a border for the entire label.

I like the font. And do agree about the tail of the 'Y' running into the lower line.....something needs to move.

As for something else, a simple square black border would nicely break up the 'blankness'. You could add a special affect to the border to make it kind of 'torn' or give it a 'canvas' appearance, lots of options.

As for the graphic, i have mixed thoughts. I think she's adorable, catchy, and memorable. But how you intedn to apply her is the issue......how will it play out on smaller labels, will she be clear? A stick figure could work, but i think you need to make sure it doesn't end up looking too childish. JMO.

I love your grumpy girl, she's how we know you now, and I think that people will be looking for her KWIM?? ;)

How about trying that font you used for your website info. for the Business name? Just a thought.

I downloaded a TON of fonts a while back, let me play around with them and see if I find any "grumpy" ones. LOL

I agree with maybe taking out the background of the scent and just making it bolder some how, then maybe it would look more "balanced" ??

Of course this is all coming from someone who can't make a decent label to save her soul. :rolleyes: LOL

Just played around with it a bit. I am sure this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but maybe gives you some ideas. Probably a little lighter on the Candle & Bath Co. part, it shouldn't take away too much from the Grumpy Girl. I also like the Ravie font that Michi posted too, that would look cute. My opinion is that it really needs that color graphic on it to make it pop. Also, maybe a diff. graphic for the fragrance, something a little more plain. So it doesn't take away from the title. I am just not good at these. I was lucky to be able to do my own, LOL!

post-28-139458394343_thumb.jpg

Wow, thank you for all the ideas. I'll take some of them in a bit and apply them and see what I can come up with.

I like the stick figure idea, but the grumpy girl is going to be my brand recognition... she's who I am and the image I want to build on, and Michi said that well. I can't lose her, she's part of the package. She is on a transparent background and can be resized clearly so that shoudn't be an issue with having to resize labels.

Lots of great ideas. I'll try some of them and post some results after while. Michi, I think I have those fonts... I'll try a few versions and see what I come up with.