Lip balm tube ?

Jeana

I have made a couple batches of lip balm I didn't like. If the rest of you have this happen do you throw away the tubes with the product or can they be washed out and used again? It seems like such a waste to throw them out.

I've re-used some lip balm tubes for myself and I re-fill them for people once the product runs out. I just twist it all the way to the top and melt it in the microwave- then I quickly take it out and wipe it with a paper towel. If that doesn't get it all out, I boil some water and pour it in there to melt and flush out the rest. It works pretty well, but I usually do about 20-30 tubes at once so I'm not wasting my time on one stinkin' tube. It'd be more cost effective for me to throw the darn thing away! :) HTH! It IS possible- just a question of which is more valuable to you: your product you paid money on or your time.

I guess I could reuse them for tester formulas, I didn't think of that. Which is what I really should have done before making three batches of icky lip balm at one time. Of course I didn't intend for it to be icky. I think some of the lip flavors react to the oils. Sometimes I can make the exact same formula but switch the flavor and the whole batch turns bad - hard, dry, or grainy. I have also discovered the grainy issue with shea butter. Hopefully my experience now will eleviate the need for throwing more tubes out.

Angela, that is too funny about your lip balm smelling like cat pee. I got a good laugh out of that. Its the last thing you want going on your lips.

Angela, that is too funny about your lip balm smelling like cat pee. I got a good laugh out of that. Its the last thing you want going on your lips.

It's funny, I made the lip balm and put some on to test it out. I didn't really like the flavor, but thought "maybe it's just me". Well, DH and I were sitting on the couch and he kept saying "Do you smell cat pee?" and looking around to see if the kitty box was icky, etc. A few minutes later we figured out it was my lips. :shocked2: Ewww . . . So, needless to say, I'm not using that flavor anymore, lol.

For yourself, fine. I would never refill one for sale or someone else, I probably couldn't get it dry or clean enough and it might get contaminated. Not taking any chances especially with someone's mouth.

Don't fill so many tubes when you're testing - just do a couple and cover the rest of the batch to keep it clean. You can always reheat it and fill the rest later.