Wooden Wicks

On 7/11/2023 at 5:49 PM, dustinryan2010 said:

Hello all, wanting to dip my toes back into candle making again after a few year break. What is the new consensus on wooden wicks? Are they still as inconsistent? I dabbled in them in 2019 but never had positive results. 

I've never tried them myself and for some reason, I don't seem to have much interest in them, although can't exactly say for what reasons.  It could just be because I don't wish to invest the time in learning about them, or that I've heard that they can discolor wax (don't know if that's true or not), or that I simply like fiber wicks!

What bugged me was how I would fall in love with a wooden wick product, like the engineered sawdust like ones or the tube, and then suddenly without warning they would be either discontinued or change so dramatically that they were entirely different wicks.  Their track record for inconsistency to protect patents (or switch manufacturers) on a whim was exhausting.

competition to the marketplace was eliminated through lumetique’s carefully worded patents. This was a huge disservice to everyone. 

1 hour ago, dustinryan2010 said:

I see so many small businesses and large alike, that offer wood wick candles and I just do not understand how they’re doing it.

Easy. You would be horrified to know how many people/companies NEVER test. Too many candles burn like absolute crap and people don’t care. 

• 8 months later...

I have just made a batch of 72 wood wick candles for a client, using a coco apricot creme wax and essential oils.  We tested before and found a flat wood wick that worked well.  When it came time to order in bulk, of course this wick was on back order so we ordered the same size from a different vendor who is also in Canada, where I am.  The description advised that this size would work well as our vessel diameter fell in the middle of the recommended range. Now, on a burn test, I am getting tunneling and obviously the candle is drowning itself.  Is it possible to re-melt these candles and insert a larger wick?  A huge amount of work I know, but at this point I think it's the only option that won't have us starting over with new expensive ingredients.  Anyone, please help!!!!

On 4/1/2024 at 11:30 AM, Painted Pieces said:

I have just made a batch of 72 wood wick candles for a client, using a coco apricot creme wax and essential oils.  We tested before and found a flat wood wick that worked well.  When it came time to order in bulk, of course this wick was on back order so we ordered the same size from a different vendor who is also in Canada, where I am.  The description advised that this size would work well as our vessel diameter fell in the middle of the recommended range. Now, on a burn test, I am getting tunneling and obviously the candle is drowning itself.  Is it possible to re-melt these candles and insert a larger wick?  A huge amount of work I know, but at this point I think it's the only option that won't have us starting over with new expensive ingredients.  Anyone, please help!!!!

You may be able to pull it out and feed a new wick into the clip without melting.

Wooden wicks are so complex.  The size is less important than the type of wood they are made from, thickness, how they are dried an and the treatment used to make them somewhat usable.  In our testing it often comes down to the actual piece of wood since the grain from tree to tree varies so much. Even then in bulk packs some would burn ok, some would drown and others were tiki torches in the same candles. 🫤

best of luck finding a wick that performs well for you.  I don’t envy the rework you have to do.