Citrus EO in soap

Im still pretty new to soap making and finding conflicting information regarding citrus EO in soap. Would it be ok, photosensitivity wise, since it’s a wash off product? I’m specifically interested in orange at this time but probably lemon/ lime too down the road. Do you like to add yours at trace? 

thank you in advance for your help! 

Bailey

The only component of citrus I’ve ever been taught to worry about is bergaptene. Bergaptene is known to cause photo toxicity. Many places offer bergaptene free bergamot essential oil. While technically a wash off, superfatting leaves behind some residual soap on the skin.

all that said, many citrus oils fade quickly in Cold process (cp) soap.  Along with Bergamot I can never get plain orange or grapefruit to stick.  

Lemon can be a fader too. litsea cubeba essential oil is very lemony and can help give a boost to lemon, or be used in place of lemon.

Orange is available “folded”, or concentrated, 5x and 10x which helps with longevity. sometimes other forms of orange, like blood orange might stick longer.

You’ll see lots about “anchors” of base notes like patchouli.  Most ive found are old wives tales, but do try them yourself for the learning experience. 

Cold pressed lime is usually sticks ok and doesn’t morph. I like this one a lot!

I add all of my fragrances and essential oils to the base oils before the lye so that I can blend thoroughly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The only component of citrus I’ve ever been taught to worry about is bergaptene. Bergaptene is known to cause photo toxicity. Many places offer bergaptene free bergamot essential oil. While technically a wash off, superfatting leaves behind some residual soap on the skin.

all that said, many citrus oils fade quickly in Cold process (cp) soap.  Along with Bergamot I can never get plain orange or grapefruit to stick.  

Lemon can be a fader too. litsea cubeba essential oil is very lemony and can help give a boost to lemon, or be used in place of lemon.

Orange is available “folded”, or concentrated, 5x and 10x which helps with longevity. sometimes other forms of orange, like blood orange might stick longer.

You’ll see lots about “anchors” of base notes like patchouli.  Most ive found are old wives tales, but do try them yourself for the learning experience. 

Cold pressed lime is usually sticks ok and doesn’t morph. I like this one a lot!

I add all of my fragrances and essential oils to the base oils before the lye so that I can blend thoroughly.

Thanks so much for this. That makes sense about the super fat- I didn’t even think of that. I’ll keep my super fat low to hopefully skirt around that. Maybe I’ll try the concentrated ones or blood orange sounds nice! I’ll have to try the lime and litsea cubeba as well. Hopefully I can make some of them stick. 

4 hours ago, NightLight said:

Litsea as TT says is good. Super lemony, it does discolor. I do like anchoring with patchouli. 

I’ll have to try the anchoring as well I’ve seen some suggestions online about those. 

thank you both for your help and suggestions! :) so many things to try!