Weather and candles....

Remember,...newbie here:yay: ,so please don't attack!:P How much does the outside temp. actually affect the making/ curing/set-up of candles? Will bulk wax stored at cooler temp take longer to melt/ harder to break apart? My hubby is helping me convert a small area (attached to main house; but w/ door directly to outside). Would a space heater help when temps are cool? Sorry to ask so much at once..:embarasse

Remember,...newbie here:yay: ,so please don't attack!:P How much does the outside temp. actually affect the making/ curing/set-up of candles? Will bulk wax stored at cooler temp take longer to melt/ harder to break apart? My hubby is helping me convert a small area (attached to main house; but w/ door directly to outside). Would a space heater help when temps are cool? Sorry to ask so much at once..:embarasse

We never attack newbies LOL.. Wow, are we getting that reputation here??? I only noticed that weather affects my candle making/curing/set-up time if my windows are open all throughout the house. I make them in the kitchen. I am assuming that ones who have a workshed outside would have it worse than those in a kitchen. My apartment is well insulated as well. I am assuming that plays a part as well.

Not sure if I can help more than that..

(((hugs)))

And welcome to the addiction of your life.. CT!!!!!!!

Christina

Went to go get the java fix and forgot to add this:embarasse I did a test burn on a 3 1/2 square pillar (reg. parafin from HobbyLobby) and it burned for just over 10hrs! that was with an off centered wick. Is that an unusual time? I just got my shipment from Aztec and I'm axious to start this weekend on some real test candles. I can feel the "candle itch" starting; but, I'm gonna try and hold out till hubby helps w/ that room. Thanks you guys for all the great sugg. to this point!! :yay:

the only thing that I've ever really worried about is if its too cold because then the molds get cold and it changes your finnish and the wax sets up quicker...

I actually make my candles outside in the summer. They're big enough that I like the space. they don't cool as fast but...

I appreciate all the info. LRC, is it true that you guys will test candles and scents for each other? I read that on another thread, somewhere in this maze.:shocked2: If and when I feel comfortable to start doing that, how would I go about it?

Yes on the testing. Vicky (the mod) has/had something set up for people to test for others if they wanted. Not sure if she's still doing it, but basically she finds someone who is willing to test for you.

As for the weather thing, I find it's easier to break up wax when it's cooler. I tend to get that dang fingernailing when it's raining or it's really hot out.

As for temps changing things, there's always a heat gun that can be used to warm molds etc. You can control most of those things lol.

We all adapt to our circumstances. Some candles will come out better cooling in that room, as long as you can warm the molds before pouring the wax (or maybe pour hotter). Other candles could be harder to make. Container candles are often better cooled slowly and can benefit from some insulation even at normal room temperature. The fluctuating temperatures during the year sometimes drive me nuts trying to get a consistent result with mottled pillars.