Testing Question

Noob82

If you order the same type of wax do you retest every recipe with your new batch?  Like if I established a 735 with thos FO in 6006 and my batch of 6006 runs out and I order more. Do you think it's necessary to test every batch?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Noob82 said:

If you order the same type of wax do you retest every recipe with your new batch?  Like if I established a 735 with thos FO in 6006 and my batch of 6006 runs out and I order more. Do you think it's necessary to test every batch?

Yes if the lot number changed.  I have 2 different lots of 6006. When I tested both lots unscented side by side, the newer lot melted a lot quicker. So the wick (htp83) I used in my original 6006 lot was too big / hot for the new lot.  

I haven't tested the new lot yet so I'm not even sure if would be the same wick series either.

• Thanks 1

It’s very helpful to learn how to baseline test waxes. Unscented in a smallish jar will alert you to any major changes before you get too far into production and get into a pickle. 

I’ve had too many lots with significant variances to not baseline test. It’s quick and easy. 

On 4/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, TallTayl said:

It’s very helpful to learn how to baseline test waxes. Unscented in a smallish jar will alert you to any major changes before you get too far into production and get into a pickle. 

I’ve had too many lots with significant variances to not baseline test. It’s quick and easy. 

So how will I know which wick to baseline test to?  I'm using 6006 and premier wicks but each FO typically requires a different wick. I use 725 and 735 mostly. Should I got with the most common wick and make sure I get a proper melt with minimal soot?

When I perform Baseline tests for new waxes, it is to test the bare wax lot for significant variations.  For instance, coco83 and 444 changed with every single shipment I ever received. The baseline tests alert me at the beginning if something is drastically wrong with the wax without adding in the many other variables of candles. There’s nothing more frustrating than trying to figure out what is wrong with candles after they’re already made.

If you are a baker, a similar test is “proving” your yeast.  If the yeast bubbles away in the proof your bread will likely rise and bake well making for a tasty dinner.  If the yeast proof sits all dead like in the proving bowl your bread will likely be a total fail.  Knowing at the start that the odds are in your favor saves time and money (and keeps you from going hungry).

I make a small test candle using the same type of container for all baseline tests of the same wax. You could choose a 4 oz jelly jar, for example.  Some use a maxi tea light. The point is to use the same container size/type/material for a quick candle to see if that new box of wax will be a source of nightmares or joyous dreams. 

Find the wick that best performs for the naked wax in that single small container and note in your candle log how it burns (flame height, temp of the jar, pool depth, etc.).  In future lot tests you will compare notes to ensure you’re starting with the same fuel (within your personal range of acceptable). If the small tester candle burns similarly to the prior case lot(s) you’re likely  safe to use whatever wicks you’ve identified in the past for your candles/fragrances in that wax.  If it burns notably different you need to hit the production pause button and figure out what to do to solve the burn issues.  

Occasionally the wax lots fall too far outside of the “acceptable” range.  One lot of 444 just would not burn in the test candle. I knew immediately not to make anything with that lot as it would be a customer service disaster to replace/refund terrible candles.  One lot of coco83 burned so much hotter than prior lots I knew not to make candles with it until I completed thorough testing to compensate for the dangerously hot burn with existing wicks. It’s easier and cheaper to not make a candle than it is to recall “bad” or unsafe candles. 

Adjacent thought: this same baseline test can be used for new wick shipments.  I’ve had some wicks of the same size/type just not burn well. I used a trusted wax lot to identify the problem quickly and inexpensively. The goal is to limit the variables to quickly identify the root cause of a problem. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Noob82 said:

Another question if I have a great burn test but my HT needs to be stronger would raising it 1 to 1.5% require a new test or would it be so minimal that it should bee good?

Any change needs a full test.  Fragrances are made of so many different aromachemicals and diluents that anything can happen.  

in my Sweet Amber or Frankincense fragrances 1% increase will halt the burn. The aromachemicals clog the wick and smother the flame.  

in WSP Oakmoss Sandalwood a 1% increase will cause the candle to melt into a puddle. 

Hot Throw is a delicate balance. Once you find that sweet spot, though, it is magical! 

• Like 1

Thanks all!  I ordered some wax from a different supplier and thought the lot number would be on the cases, but it wasn't. I ordered 10 lbs. below the full case size and I don't know if they gathered all from the same lot. I'll just have to test each block. Next time I'm getting the full case and saving myself all this testing time. 

• Like 2