First purchase

Shay from SoIN

We are new to this, but we are making wax melts for our craft booth. We've made some really nice ones so far with stuff you can get locally from Hobby Lobby and Joanns. We are using a mix of soy and parafin wax.

Now we are going to make our first purchase of fragrances from a company. I think I am going to use either Fragrance Buddy or Virginia Candle. 

Does anyone have any advice on these 2 companies. Which fragrance from them are really good, and maybe even more importantly what fragrances are not good :)

Thanks in advance for any advice you have...

Welcome and good luck. 😊

you will find hits and misses at every supplier.  Some here will disagree about how good/not good the same fragrance is based on their nose or wax.  Start with a few 1 Oz samples and see how you like them, then branch out. You learn A LOT by smelling from different suppliers. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, Shay from SoIN said:

We are new to this, but we are making wax melts for our craft booth. We've made some really nice ones so far with stuff you can get locally from Hobby Lobby and Joanns. We are using a mix of soy and parafin wax.

Now we are going to make our first purchase of fragrances from a company. I think I am going to use either Fragrance Buddy or Virginia Candle. 

Does anyone have any advice on these 2 companies. Which fragrance from them are really good, and maybe even more importantly what fragrances are not good :)

Thanks in advance for any advice you have...

What TallTayl said!

I will tell you that FB has several that I love personally and those are

mulberry, blackberry Jam Butter Cookies, Coconut Pie, Sugar Cookie, Sugar Cookie Royale, Pumpkin Pecan Waffles, Apple Cinnamon, Banana Nut Bread MW's type, Birthday Cake, Blonde Moment, Cherry Champagne Toast, Cinnamon Broom, Cinnamon Pumpkin Souffle, Cinnamon Sugared Donuts, Circus Concession, Country Berry Hotcakes, Fizzy Pop Soda, Harvest Gathering, Home Sweet Home Cinnamon Type, Homemade Cookies, Iced Cranberry, Juicy Fruit, Marshmallow Fireside, Marshmallow Fluff, Mint Chocolate Chip, Olde Town Bakeshop, Orange Chiffon Cake, Pearberry, Pumpkin Cupcake, Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spiced Cheesecake, Pumpkin Sugared Donut, Salted Caramel, Spiced Apples and Peaches, Strawberry Pound Cake, Serendipity, Sweater Weather, Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin, Tea and Cakes, Tis The Season, Vanilla Pumpkin Marshmallow, Warm Welcome, Warm Vanilla Sugar, Cinnamon Apples and Peaches, Zucchini Bread. These are some that I have personally used and liked. I have found some of these same FO's from other suppliers that were just as good also like Sugar Cookie Royale from Flaming and Midwest Fragrance Co.

From Virginia I like 

Cinnamon Clove-but I like blending my own too with a good cinnamon and Clove from Nature's Gardens. They have the best clove I've found so far.

Farmhouse, Black Ice, Ginger Pumpkin tart, Halloween, Hocus Locus, Marshmallow Fireside. I have more from them but these are the ones that I have put in wax.

You're going to find duds and great oils from every supplier! If you're looking for a particular scent or type just do a search on here and you'll probably find several recommendations for that scent. 

Let us know what you get!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 6:33 PM, Belinda said:

What TallTayl said!

I will tell you that FB has several that I love personally and those are

mulberry, blackberry Jam Butter Cookies, Coconut Pie, Sugar Cookie, Sugar Cookie Royale, Pumpkin Pecan Waffles, Apple Cinnamon, Banana Nut Bread MW's type, Birthday Cake, Blonde Moment, Cherry Champagne Toast, Cinnamon Broom, Cinnamon Pumpkin Souffle, Cinnamon Sugared Donuts, Circus Concession, Country Berry Hotcakes, Fizzy Pop Soda, Harvest Gathering, Home Sweet Home Cinnamon Type, Homemade Cookies, Iced Cranberry, Juicy Fruit, Marshmallow Fireside, Marshmallow Fluff, Mint Chocolate Chip, Olde Town Bakeshop, Orange Chiffon Cake, Pearberry, Pumpkin Cupcake, Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spiced Cheesecake, Pumpkin Sugared Donut, Salted Caramel, Spiced Apples and Peaches, Strawberry Pound Cake, Serendipity, Sweater Weather, Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin, Tea and Cakes, Tis The Season, Vanilla Pumpkin Marshmallow, Warm Welcome, Warm Vanilla Sugar, Cinnamon Apples and Peaches, Zucchini Bread. These are some that I have personally used and liked. I have found some of these same FO's from other suppliers that were just as good also like Sugar Cookie Royale from Flaming and Midwest Fragrance Co.

From Virginia I like 

Cinnamon Clove-but I like blending my own too with a good cinnamon and Clove from Nature's Gardens. They have the best clove I've found so far.

Farmhouse, Black Ice, Ginger Pumpkin tart, Halloween, Hocus Locus, Marshmallow Fireside. I have more from them but these are the ones that I have put in wax.

You're going to find duds and great oils from every supplier! If you're looking for a particular scent or type just do a search on here and you'll probably find several recommendations for that scent. 

Let us know what you get!

Thanks for the reply Belinda. We went with FB. I liked that they offered free shipping on $100 order. Even though we spent well past that. :)

• Like 1

Congrats on getting into the wax melt game - sounds like you're already killing it with your locally-sourced creations. As for fragrances, I haven't personally tried either Fragrance Buddy or Virginia Candle, but I've heard good things about both. It might be worth checking out some reviews online to see which scents people are really digging. And hey, even if you end up with a fragrance that's not quite your cup of tea, that's just part of the learning process - you'll know for next time! Keep up the great work and keep experimenting - I'm sure your wax melts are gonna be a hit!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, olivebaneweb said:

Congrats on getting into the wax melt game - sounds like you're already killing it with your locally-sourced creations. As for fragrances, I haven't personally tried either Fragrance Buddy or Virginia Candle, but I've heard good things about both. It might be worth checking out some reviews online to see which scents people are really digging. And hey, even if you end up with a fragrance that's not quite your cup of tea, that's just part of the learning process - you'll know for next time! Keep up the great work and keep experimenting - I'm sure your wax melts are gonna be a hit!

Thanks so much! I appreciate your kind words.

UPDATE: We made our first purchase from Fragrance Buddy. We are excited and making wax melts. Now I am trying to source wax. We've been buying locally from our Joann, had some good luck with coupons to get decent prices.

I was wondering where is another place to source wax that won't break the bank. We are making wax melts, not candles with wicks.

3 hours ago, Shay from SoIN said:

UPDATE: We made our first purchase from Fragrance Buddy. We are excited and making wax melts. Now I am trying to source wax. We've been buying locally from our Joann, had some good luck with coupons to get decent prices.

I was wondering where is another place to source wax that won't break the bank. We are making wax melts, not candles with wicks.

Check the supplier list on this forum. Choose a place close to you and check pretty much any wax they have. You may be near a supplier where you can will-call your order. 

many fragrance suppliers offer waxes that will work in melts. You just never know what you are really buying at hobby shops to find an equivalent at a supplier. Their suppliers and lots change often. It may take some testing to find the right fit. 

On 3/8/2023 at 1:01 PM, Shay from SoIN said:

What state are you in? You may have a supplier that's close enough to drive to.

If I had it to do all over again I would start with the para/soy tart wax that a lot of suppliers carry. Flaming, Midwest Fragrance Co, (they also have some really good FO's) Rustic Escentuals, Virginia, Bescented and a couple of others that I can't think of off the top of my head all have it. It comes in granular form and easy to use and If you're doing clamshells the para/soy blend pops out really easy. If you're doing shapes then the all paraffin tart wax works well too. It's just harder to get out of the clamshell to me. Flaming and Rustic offer both. Both are easy to use and have a great scent throw. The para/soy will require a little longer cure time though with it being half soy.

I also like IGI 4625 wax which is all paraffin but comes in a slab and has to be broke up but that's not really all that hard to do and most suppliers carry that one. If I'm just doing shapes I like either of these. For clams the para/soy works the best and you can use it for shapes too. A word of caution. If you order 4625, don't get it from Virginia. For some reason their 4625 isn't like anyone else's I've used. 

• Like 2

We live close to Louisville, Ky on the Indiana side. I checked the list of suppliers and no one is close.

We chose FB mainly because we got free shipping after we spent $100. Indiana Candles did not offer anything like that and I sent 2 or 3 emails to Virginia and never got a reply.

FB replied quickly, were very responsive and professional, so we went with them. That doesn't mean we won't try others.

We are doing shapes, all paraffin seems to "sink" in the middle so adding soy seems to help with that.

We are using a roughly 2/3 soy to 1/3 paraffin.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:15 PM, Shay from SoIN said:

We live close to Louisville, Ky on the Indiana side. I checked the list of suppliers and no one is close.

We chose FB mainly because we got free shipping after we spent $100. Indiana Candles did not offer anything like that and I sent 2 or 3 emails to Virginia and never got a reply.

FB replied quickly, were very responsive and professional, so we went with them. That doesn't mean we won't try others.

We are doing shapes, all paraffin seems to "sink" in the middle so adding soy seems to help with that.

We are using a roughly 2/3 soy to 1/3 paraffin.

The only paraffin I tried that didn't sink with shapes is 4625. You can get it at most suppliers but I wouldn't order it from Virginia. Aztec has the best prices on their waxes and their shipping is reasonable. The granular waxes will have dimples but if you add some 4625 or a container wax to the mix it will smooth out. You probably already know this but soy will have to cure a little longer than paraffin but that's not a big deal unless you're impatient like me LOL!. 

Cierra also offers free shipping with a minimum purchase of $100 as well as Midwest Fragrance Co with $149 (I think). There's another one that also offers free shipping but I can't think of it right now. Keystone offers free shipping too. They carry some of Peak's oils which are nice. I think it's Studio Fragrance that offers free shipping over $40 and flat rate of $7, and even Natures Fragrance with $100 order. 

Cierra is having a 20% off sale right now so you might want to take advantage of that.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 4:53 PM, Belinda said:

The only paraffin I tried that didn't sink with shapes is 4625. You can get it at most suppliers but I wouldn't order it from Virginia. Aztec has the best prices on their waxes and their shipping is reasonable. The granular waxes will have dimples but if you add some 4625 or a container wax to the mix it will smooth out. You probably already know this but soy will have to cure a little longer than paraffin but that's not a big deal unless you're impatient like me LOL!. 

Cierra also offers free shipping with a minimum purchase of $100 as well as Midwest Fragrance Co with $149 (I think). There's another one that also offers free shipping but I can't think of it right now. Keystone offers free shipping too. They carry some of Peak's oils which are nice. I think it's Studio Fragrance that offers free shipping over $40 and flat rate of $7, and even Natures Fragrance with $100 order. 

Cierra is having a 20% off sale right now so you might want to take advantage of that.

Thanks for all the info! I haven't been on in a few days, sorry for the late response. I probably missed the Cierra sale but I will check in on their website.

• Like 1