I can't get it right!

dayglow

I've tried to make a layered rustic and can't get it right, no matter what. I give up on them. I tried to make this look like a sunrise ( Colors ) . Could someone please tell me how you do them? I'm at my wits end. I did this by putting it in the freezer first, then each layer.Help!!! Please!!!

post-1402-139458392703_thumb.jpg

:)

Don't give up!

I had a lot of problems trying a rustic as I see on this board, but finally I made one (I think!) here's the link:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13360

I had to try with different waxes, I found that the one that worked best for me is a pre-blended mix of paraffin (80%) and stearic (20%) (I have to work with what I find in stores).

It has a MP of 140*. I cooled the mold only once, before starting to pour, then i did'n take care of it.

I poured each layer at about 149*. When I pour a layer I move carefully the mold so some wax splashes a bit on the sides.

And magically I unmolded that beauty (to me it's a beauty, I'm so proud!).

You have to try again, be patience, and try different waxes if you can.

I have another already preblended waxes that in theory it's the same of the one I used, but it doesn't work, because if I pour at that temp I get a lot of air bubbles and the surface of the candle is glossy and shiny.

HTH

edited to add: in the yellow layer I think I see mottling, maybe you poured too hot.

I think I'm pouring it too hot. I read somwhere to chill the mold first. I use the wax that I get at Michael's. It comes in 11 lb slabs. I'm not really sure what it is. It's called Premium candle wax and has a 148* melt point. It's the only wax I can get around here, ( no credit card). I used Paradise Breeze fo from Yaley, 1 ounce. I'm going to go back to the techniqies here and try again with those directions. I didn't put any stearic in it. Thnanks for the help. I'll just keep trying till I get it right. Thanks.

Hi Dayglow

I found that stearic helps.

But try to pour cooler and see what happens.

Try at about 160*.

You can cool the mold but if you use lower temp it isn't necessary.

I'n mot an expert, and I have to go through a lot of attempts to make things the way I want!

I'm going to try the method on here. I can tell by the mottling I got it too hot. When I try to make a mottle I can't get it, now I see at the bottom that's what I got. Will try it again and not sooo hot this time. Thanks for all the help. You all have been great.

I don't freeze the molds, but mine are usually cool anyway, since it's rather cool in my garage. I do wrap a cool damp rag around the mold before adding each layer though since the layers tend to warm the mold. I don't add stearic, but then I don't get the pretty frost either.

Definitely pour cooler. I don't measure the temp, but wait until it looks like a film may be starting to form on the top layer of wax in the pour pot.

Try dropping your pour to about 140-145 and add 3 T of steric to it and see what you get. It's a trial and error thing. Just go as cool as you can go with that wax. Also you really don't need to chill the molds. Chilling it seems to give more jump line effects rather than the frost and don't force cool it because that tends to leave the white stuff in the mold ... just things I've picked up.

It's the only wax I can get around here, ( no credit card).

Do you have a checking acct? If so, you could probably get a debit card, which you can use to make online purchases. I do all the time. There's no cc company out there cwazy enough to give me one (thank God)!!

You'll find the successful chandlers are those who never give up. I hve problems w/ rustics, too. Right now, I'm very happy to admire other's successes. ;)

I also like that little bit of color on the top.