Need Some Advice

I have some glass containers with a 4.5 inch diameter which I triple wick using CS’s MP-117 wax. My problem is that the wax needs such a small wick that my wick options are very limited. So, I’m thinking about trying a two wick configuration. I wanted some opinions on how this might work.

In cases like that I play with wick positioning. Sometimes  you just need a little extra width of flame in wider jars. Placing the wicks closer sometimes does the trick. I’ve gone as close as overlapping wick tabs on occasion with a lot of luck. 

when wicks are positioned wide  the glass can often heat too quickly for many waxes. You know what happens next: the soft wax forms a deeper than needed melt pool and the balance goes off like an overloaded washing machine load of heavy towels. 

I’m not familiar with your wax. But that’s how I would approach it. Every wax has its own container dimension sweet spot. Trying to make it work in other sizes can be tricky. 4”-4.5” wide containers are a very cumbersome size to conquer for some reason. 

can’t wait to hear how your candle turns out! 

• Like 2

The answer is this I think. That wax is extremely soft. Two wicks may even be too much. You could try eco .75 two of them, not enough try eco 1, or 1.5. You may need just one wick when that wax is that soft. I’m doing tests on a similar parasoy and yes, tiny wicks.

multiple wicks on soft wax is very hard to do because halfway down the wax is liquid. So either smaller, fewer wicks, or adjust your wax by making it harder by adding some soy like 415 wax to modify. You could try 10-15 percent see if you still get the adhesion but it would help with wicking.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 9:20 AM, TallTayl said:

In cases like that I play with wick positioning. Sometimes  you just need a little extra width of flame in wider jars. Placing the wicks closer sometimes does the trick. I’ve gone as close as overlapping wick tabs on occasion with a lot of luck. 

when wicks are positioned wide  the glass can often heat too quickly for many waxes. You know what happens next: the soft wax forms a deeper than needed melt pool and the balance goes off like an overloaded washing machine load of heavy towels. 

I’m not familiar with your wax. But that’s how I would approach it. Every wax has its own container dimension sweet spot. Trying to make it work in other sizes can be tricky. 4”-4.5” wide containers are a very cumbersome size to conquer for some reason. 

can’t wait to hear how your candle turns out! 

I think I might have to accept some unmelted wax to get the wicks far enough apart to keep the MP from getting too deep, but I would be OK with that. I don’t see how I can get a FMP without it being too hot on the inside or outside. Right now I’m using a WI-725, which is too big, but the WI-720 is too small. My other problem is the expense of experimenting with these big containers, the cost of wax and FO adds up quickly. But I’ll try a couple of double wick candles and see if I can make it work.

17 hours ago, NightLight said:

The answer is this I think. That wax is extremely soft. Two wicks may even be too much. You could try eco .75 two of them, not enough try eco 1, or 1.5. You may need just one wick when that wax is that soft. I’m doing tests on a similar parasoy and yes, tiny wicks.

multiple wicks on soft wax is very hard to do because halfway down the wax is liquid. So either smaller, fewer wicks, or adjust your wax by making it harder by adding some soy like 415 wax to modify. You could try 10-15 percent see if you still get the adhesion but it would help with wicking.

I think one wick would be tricky in a container that size. I might get a bit of that rock hard tart wax and add that. I also have some old GW 454 that I could try. What I don’t want to do is mess with my HT, that’s working well for me right now. I tried a blend og the MP-117 and some questionable 6006 and it killed the HT.

1 hour ago, Forrest said:

I think I might have to accept some unmelted wax to get the wicks far enough apart to keep the MP from getting too deep, but I would be OK with that. I don’t see how I can get a FMP without it being too hot on the inside or outside. Right now I’m using a WI-725, which is too big, but the WI-720 is too small. My other problem is the expense of experimenting with these big containers, the cost of wax and FO adds up quickly. But I’ll try a couple of double wick candles and see if I can make it work.

I generally don’t wick with the intention of a FMP. The full melt pool is a limit, not a goal.  I love when those waxes gently weep Fresh wax down into a smaller melt pool like the candles I grew up with.  They lasted for much longer than modern candles, and smelled 100% stronger and more true for the life of the candle.  

let’s all work together to dispel the myth that you need a fast FMP for a wonderful candle. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

multiple wicks on soft wax is very hard to do because halfway down the wax is liquid. So either smaller, fewer wicks, or adjust your wax by making it harder by adding some soy like 415 wax to modify. You could try 10-15 percent see if you still get the adhesion but it would help with wicking