Red Liquid Dye

Is there a rule of thumb for how many drops of liquid dye per pound of wax? I know this has been discussed, but when I do a search I can't find it. I usually used the chips but I've run out and the only red I have is liquid. TIA

I don't think anyone can really answer that. I had some red die from the hobby store that took about 5 times as much as the die I got from Peak's, to get the same color.

The type of wax and the FO you use could change the outcome too.

Not to mention not knowing the precise *shade* of red you're looking for.

:sad2:

With Peaks liquid dye I use 7 drops per pound to get a true red. hth
If you put those 7 drops into a one-pour container wax, a pillar wax with Vybar, a pillar wax with UA, and paraffin with some stearic, you will get 4 distinct shades of red ranging from bright pinkish red to deep dark red. Which one is true red?

The number of colors you can make are infinite. It depends on what you want and what the wax itself looks like.

For paraffin candles I have a lot of pre-mixed colors. I put a drop of each into a votive cup and filled it with semi-opaque wax (poured hot and mixed with the votive pin). That's at least a reference point for 10 drops pp into that kind of wax, which makes it a bit easier to figure out how to get close to the color I'm looking for on the first try.

Good to remember the more creamy-opaque the wax, the lighter-brighter the color will be. Putting dye into relatively translucent wax (like straight paraffin or with a modest amount of stearic) will make a deeper shade with less dye.

If you put those 7 drops into a one-pour container wax, a pillar wax with Vybar, a pillar wax with UA, and paraffin with some stearic, you will get 4 distinct shades of red ranging from bright pinkish red to deep dark red. Which one is true red?

You're right that they'll all be slightly different. I use 7 drops pp in 4625, 4794 and 4786 and in all 3 waxes it produces a very good red. Similar to a red crayon.

Frangrance oils with a strong cinnamon base can also be a pain to get a nice deep red in. I add a drop of brown and a drop of orange to my red dyes to get that perfect red...in everything but the cinnamons. I'm trying the Pryme dyes as soon things slow down a little this summer.

The amount of red dye varies depending on the shade that you are trying to achieve.

What I do is add the drops of dye, stir and dip a butter knife into the wax and let a drop of the colored wax land on a white paper towel. That will generally give me an idea of what shade I am looking at when the candle is set up and cooled down. From there I add to make it more vibrant or darker.