What's the most effective way to scent a bear?

Like I said once before, I've been out of the loop for a while and now see some beautiful Teddy Bears in the gallery. What's the method most people are using to scent them these days? Infusion or dipping? I tried the dipping and, while I was a rookie at it, I wasn't really happy with the outcome. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

TIA

Sheryl

I do both.The dipped ones seem to last about 9 months and the ones that I inject only last about 3-4 months then they need a checkup treatment. Most of my customers like the dipped ones.

It takes less time to inject them. I use a needle that I get from my pharmacy. When I am done with them I return them to the pharmacy and they dispose of them too.

Depends on the size of the room as to the scent throw, plus what scent you use.

von691 what kind of wax do you use?

I use 100% soy and now have a votive blend (no paraffin in it) would I want to try this instead. The reason I'm asking is my 100% soy lasts 3-4 months and read once that a lady that uses both paraffin and soy had a better throw and longer lasting bear (scent wise) w/ the paraffin dipped bear. Any advise?

Sheryl another thing w/ injecting is IMO you have to be more careful of using straight FO. Its so strong that it eats through things. I injected a dipped bear that was losing its scent and the FO ended up fading the bow and "eating" at it. Never know what the end user will do w/ it if they don't leave it on a plate then it could ruin furniture, etc. just MO :)

I wasn't using the best bears for the job either so that could have been it too. The reason I asked is that the bears that I've seen on this board don't look like they have wax on them...they're so fluffy and soft looking. They make my feeble attempts look really lame! Thanks for the input everyone!

Sheryl

Sheryl we can do both. I think the wax dipped last longer than the infused bears, but our infused have lasted close to 7 months before needing a boost. We prefer the infused because they tend to look more natural, but you can get pretty close to a natural look on the waxed dipped as well. I think it's all in the grooming. Just squeeze him really well. He'll still get stiff though. Some wax dipped that we did do lasted about nine months.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in the galleries (both old and new) just in awe of everyone's creations! But your bears are out of this world! So do you sell little dropper bottles with the bears and recommend the hair dryer for freshening the scent? I sold one bear and it went back East so I never did find out how long it lasted

Sheryl

I use 100% soy and they look like they have no wax on them, think your right Scented its all in the grooming (and how much wax you leave on). I'm going to try a votive blend on them- thinking its a harder wax so the scent will stay longer.

Sheryl I'll give in my opinion on the dropper bottles, actually spray bottle :D . I mixed a bottle up w/ DPG like I was advised (I was told I should use this cutting agent w/ FO's so the customer doesn't have the FO in full strength for saftey reasons). So recently I took a 6 month old dipped bear and sprayed him. He was cream, and in a day he turned yellow. I had orginally dipped him in sugar cookies, no dye, and 100% soywax. It looked horrible so I decided not to include spray bottles w/ bears to refresh them. On my tag I say to either blowdry them or put them in a sunny window to be refreshed. I've also had customers put them in the bathroom and the hot steam from the shower refreshes them as well. I don't use dropper bottles w/ straight FO because I was advised not to, and w/ FO's like Cinnamon Sticks I know why :eek: (my face burns and turns slotchy red everytime I use this FO its so strong.)

I'll have to look in the gallery at Julie's (what's her user name- is it Scented?) I love to see what other do w/ their bears :)

There's plenty of info out there now that wasn't there 3 years ago! And spray bottles do make more sense too. Guess I just have to get the right bears and the right grooming tool now. I'm wondering if the vanilla in the sugar cookie scent might have had something to do with your bear turning brown. I know it can be a problem in making cold process soaps so I suppose it's possible. A friend of mine calls me a chemist just because I make candles :rolleyes:

Sheryl

There's plenty of info out there now that wasn't there 3 years ago! And spray bottles do make more sense too. Guess I just have to get the right bears and the right grooming tool now. I'm wondering if the vanilla in the sugar cookie scent might have had something to do with your bear turning brown. I know it can be a problem in making cold process soaps so I suppose it's possible. A friend of mine calls me a chemist just because I make candles :rolleyes:

Sheryl

that's true I never thought about the vanilla reacting- Thanks :)

Nope we don't cut the FO with a thing. The DPG we use for incense and it turns our clear FOs yellow and the yellow FOs to a light brown. I'm gonna guess the color change comes from the DPG.

I wouldn't recommend a spray bottle of FO either. It's not as concentrated. However, each to his/her own :) It's the fun of trying different things and playing around that you discover things :D

I like to do as much research ahead of time as possible so all of these posts are helpful to me. Julie, I assume you sell your bears? I cannot imagine anyone receiving one of them as a gift and not passing your information along. I've toyed with the idea of incense since I love using it myself. Looking at the 2 remaining storebought sticks in my decanter brought it to my mind again!

Sheryl

I haven't tried infusing them yet. The gals at work kept asking about them dipped, so that's what I'm trying. The bears with long fur are a bit harder to pic out, but I didn't fuss with it too much. The last ones were jointed bears with short fur and a bit easier. I just use a fork ;) Speaking of yellowing.... the white Scraggles I did a couple weeks ago is now cream :( It's not even coloring either, the snout didn't turn as much as the long fur. I used 4625 with Lilac for it. Not so sure I like it now, guess I'll stick with brown/tan bears.