Impromptu paraffin bath for my hands!

I had a little white wax left in the melt pot, and I accidently touched my fingertips to it before cleaning it out. It was warm, but not hot...so I gave myself a little spa treatment! Hope it doesn't dry my hands out. It felt really good rubbing the warm paraffin all over them. Side-benefit?

I love parrafin treatments for dry skin, it works sooo welll! LIke they do at spa's.

MK (in their Satin Hands set)has an extra emollient night cream that I really like. I have put that on my hands and then stuck them in a parrafin bath and let them rest for about 20 minutes....when you take the wax off and then use some cleanser and the buffing cream and scrub all the dry skin off your hands, then put some hand cream on..Ohhh yes...sooo nice....

LOL I need a life...

Hi all,

I am a beauty therapist by training. The wax used for salon treatments have a relatively low melting point, but it still gets damn hot if you overheat it. As a treatment in the salon we normally do the following: scrub and clean with soap, exfoliate (any scrub would do, even salt with oil), shape nails, rub some oil into the cuticles, do massage with any emolient cream (or shea butter or oil), apply wax, wrap hands in plastic bags and then put either in a mitten or wrap with a towel to keep the heat in. This is so easy you could do it at home!! I would probably only apply the wax only when it gets slushy and make sure that my hands is preheated by rubbing them together so that the wax does not feel too hot, but since soy has a lower melting point than paraffin, maybe that is a better option.

Fern, definitely try using a thick barrier cream (a little shea butter would be perfect), wrap them in plastic and then a towel and leave on for about 20 minutes. After doing this a couple of nights (if your hands are really dry), you should have no problem at all.

HTH, sorry for the long post...:rolleyes2

The container blends would be kind of like using a combo of paraffin and petroleum jelly on your skin. The kind of wax that katinka is talking about is a straight semi-refined paraffin with a low melting point and slightly higher oil content ("scale wax"). It can be used as a base wax for container candles (some of the popular candle suppliers carry it) but it's also sometimes referred to as spa wax.

Hi all,

Fern, definitely try using a thick barrier cream (a little shea butter would be perfect), wrap them in plastic and then a towel and leave on for about 20 minutes. After doing this a couple of nights (if your hands are really dry), you should have no problem at all.

HTH, sorry for the long post...:rolleyes2

Thank you for the info.

I was thinking about it last nite before I went to bed. I wish I had thought to turn my wax bath on!

I was also thinking about putting Soy in...I might try it with the Shea/Mango Butter I have, it has petroleum in it also. My hands are in water constantly. Just brutal. No amount, or brand of lotion has given me the relief I need.

Thanks again.