Air Bubble Candle

Pam W

Tried a cold pour at 150* in my embossed molds and this is what I got. When I first de-molded I thought I had frosting till I took a closer look and it's all tiny air bubbles. I did tap the sides after pouring but obviously it didn't work. Oh well, no more cold pour in this mold :sad2:

post-450-139458392276_thumb.jpg

Maybe try running some hot air with your heat gun down into the liner of that mold a little before you pour (before careful not to melt those beautiful liners). That way you can still pour cold, but it might aleviate the bubbles. I get those in my votives and pillars sometimes if my mold is not quite the right temp, even when pouring colder.

I hit it with the heat gun in one spot and the bubbles popped leaving pits. Alan warned me about this back when I first got the molds but I just had to try anyway. I did make a couple at pouring temp of 160* with no problem. Just poured another -- going for a mottle:)

Beth: I use the heat gun on the liner to clean it and it doesn't harm it - course I keep it moving.

Donita: the liner is rubber

Oh....rubber?????? I know that you will figure it out....just takes practice. I used to make lollipops in antique family molds and I had to learn how to exactly pour the hot syrup for those molds. I almost gave up in the beginning, but finally learned and ended up selling a bunch of them. I would love to have molds like that. Donita

Hi Pam - I sure do like that candle!

About the air bubbles... Did you use a release agent on the rubber? The release not only helps the candle to slip out of the mold, but it helps diminish the surface tension of the mold material so that pesky air bubbles do not stick to it so readily. In other media, vibration is used to help air bubbles group and rise to the surface. I have a hand-held hand massager thingy that does a great job on air bubbles...

Maybe you could dip the candle to coat over the bubbles...

I hope you can find what's causing the bubbles and a solution, 'cause that mold is BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL!!!

Good luck! :)

didn't have any problem with air bubbles until I dropped the pour temp down to 150* ..I've poured a bunch of these and the finish has always been great at any temp above the 150*... I was just hoping for a little frosting this time. I think it looks kinda neat cause it's consistant all around the candle but I wouldn't sell one like it to anyone - this is a tester -- still trying to wick the darn things.

Next time I feel ambitious, I'll chill the insert & lub it to see what happens. I can always exercise my option to remelt. Like the idea of the vibrator -- got one in a closet somewhere:)