copper and brass central heating pipe candles.

Rich

I saw someone do this on line so i made my own from compression fittings. I love em! Don't have to worry about burrowing tunnelling wicks, sidewall blowouts. Perfect

Thaught I'd share.20220707_102009.thumb.jpg.6ce779e8084d337df8b7bb0279b75bd4.jpg20220707_101955.thumb.jpg.0639561c4847f33f1850abc9629cca1b.jpg20220707_101941.thumb.jpg.9b824f75780b35836ad23d174e576230.jpg

• Like 3

They are basically oil candles made from 22mm central heating compression fittings and pipes.

The wick used is 8mm fiberglass and threaded down the pipe and supported by a brass hosetail at the top. Unscrew the hosetail and fill pipes with lamp oil. Fiberglass wick never burns away. I've burnt these for over 400 hours now and not even lost 1mm of wick.

Rich

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rich said:

They are basically oil candles made from 22mm central heating compression fittings and pipes.

The wick used is 8mm fiberglass and threaded down the pipe and supported by a brass hosetail at the top. Unscrew the hosetail and fill pipes with lamp oil. Fiberglass wick never burns away. I've burnt these for over 400 hours now and not even lost 1mm of wick.

Rich

Amazing.  You’ve found the right wick for that height! Have you ever scented the lamp oil?

I make ceramic containers, and need to figure out the sizing for a clay oil lamp to round out my chandlery bucket list. 

Never tried to scent the lamp oil. My brain says you won't smell it since there's zero melt pool. Yes  8mm fibreglass capillarys the full 14 inches.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Given the tops of the containers are open air I've opted for ultra refined low odur paraffin lamp oil. These could be fragranced if needed.

Vs normal candles, so many problems are eliminated including:...

No tunnelling

No hugging of wax

No blowouts

No wick drowning

Perfect flame size for thousands of hours

No soot or smoking

Longer burn times

No container heat

No wick wear

No mushrooming

I'm sure theres more

Rich

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 5:25 AM, Rich said:

Given the tops of the containers are open air I've opted for ultra refined low odur paraffin lamp oil. These could be fragranced if needed.

Vs normal candles, so many problems are eliminated including:...

No tunnelling

No hugging of wax

No blowouts

No wick drowning

Perfect flame size for thousands of hours

No soot or smoking

Longer burn times

No container heat

No wick wear

No mushrooming

I'm sure theres more

Rich

I 100% agree with your list. I tried to source some of those items at my local hardware store without much success. I’m determined to make my ceramic old-fashioned lamp replicas work though. It would be awesome if they worked well with common oils.

23 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I 100% agree with your list. I tried to source some of those items at my local hardware store without much success. I’m determined to make my ceramic old-fashioned lamp replicas work though. It would be awesome if they worked well with common oils.

I'm not sure about USA pipe sizes. But there is a good selection of sizes here in the UK.

Plumbing pipes here are 8, 10, 15, 22, 28, 36, 52mm. No end of fittings options. I've settled on 22mm pipe with 22mm to 15mm reducers to use 15mm hosetails with an 8mm diameter spout. 8mm diameter fibreglass wick slides through the horsetail like a penguin through a trap door.... Awsome fit.

Edited by Rich

• 4 weeks later...