Wick suggestions.

Lynnann81

Hello, I just purchased a bunch of different vessels and am hoping some of the more experienced memebers may be able to give me some advice on which wicks to start testing with. I tried searching the forum to see if these were previously discussed, I found one but it was a different wax then I use. Im not very good with navigating this site yet so hope my post isnt a repeat of others.. 

I use 464, and 10%FO I realize that the type of FO will alter the wicks used just hoping for a baseline to start with. Sitting here staring at the vessels and the wick guide from CS is overwhelming... 

Ok so the 22oz Libbey apothecary jar

31oz Libbey apothecary jar

22oz Libbey cylinder jar 

14oz Libbey bowl

20.5 Libbey Status - trying CD10,12, &14. Almost done testing, the 14 is preforming the best but there is some mushrooming and a small amount of soot, well all 3 wicks had mushrooming and some soot, jar temp is 133f on the CD14. Where do I go from here? Have some HTP, Ecos, and some of Aztecs wicks on the way. 

Any suggestions for starting points would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

1646659547462156214463175437069.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I didnt realize I posted this yesterday, when I got on this morning this post was still sitting in the box like it was unposted. 🤦‍♀️ Nighlight gave great feedback, I will work with one vessel at a time, so its no as overwhelming. Thank you. 

The deeper the jar the more soot you will see.  The current often just cannot provide enough O2 for complete, clean combustion. I would be inclined to burn them all the way to the bottom before deciding. 

assuming these were well cured (2weeks at least) and the environment was typical (testing labs use 70*F room temp usually), the end will be very telling. A candle is only as good as the last burn. 

I did cure them for two week, the temp in my home is set at 69. This morning I assumed they were all failures because of the soot and mushrooming. I will continue to burn until the end and see what happens. I am keeping an eye on the temp of the jars. 

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. Ill continue buring these to see what happens. 

Laura I ordered these from The jar store, the price is a little higher per vessel but the shipping was substantially lower. Once I did the math it ended up being cheaper. TJS has a lot of negative reviews online, I didnt see them until after I placed my first order, fortunately I didnt have any issues and have now placed 4 separate orders with them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Now what? The CD10 left behind a lot of wax on the jar, the CD12 left a slight residue on one side, and the CD14 has a lot of soot on the jar. Are any of these acceptable, and if not where should I go from here. So glad I listened to TallTaly the other day and continued burning! These pictures were taken at the end of a 4 hour burn. 

20220313_174139.jpg

20220313_174154.jpg

Cd 12 looks good to me. And to be honest I doubt people will burn that far in jar. Now what you can do with that jar is make a soy wax tea light without a wick, then skewer it after solid, thread it through your wick and then pour your wax on top. Will slow down the area in bottom if that makes sense. You could do a votive as well. Experiment.

So far the 12 looks nice.  keep taking temps and monitor. 

if you have to trim before each lighting, test what happens if it is not properly trimmed.

Keep going, though. You just know someone will light and forget, or just plain not want to “waste” the wax in a candle and burn to the end.