Coffee mug candles

I agree with Lizzy.

I’m a ceramic artist who prefers stoneware for its ability to handle rapid fluctuations in temperatures and les than perfect handling. Many clay bodies are not forgiving to rapid or uneven temperature variations.

Learned that anything ceramic can suffer unnoticed stress cracks that show up when the object is exposed to sudden heat changes. Many ceramic mugs  (and glassware) are banged around and don’t show stress until the items fails and the mug suddenly “breaks for no reason”. I would use new versus repurposed/thrifted mugs for this reason. 

An ASTM test uses hot and cold water cycles. If the mug can remain intact when hot/boiling water is poured into it, then a candle should be fine if wicked well. Candle heat is not an even heat like a dishwasher. The flame concentrates temperature differently around the container throughout the candle’s life. 

I grabbed a few at the dollar store to try out. At first I tried cd10 wicks, and they tunneled. Then cd12 and the flame was sky high with soot everywhere lol! Switched to wooden wicks that I know like the back of my hand, and it’s perfect! The mug isn’t even as hot as coffee after 4 hours burn time. Gonna power burn tomorrow and see what we get. Funny enough, I went to the thrift stores today just to look around. Mugs were $1.99 vs the $1 at Dollar General and Dollar Tree. And they were all really ugly lol! So I’ll definitely stick with new, and likely go the camping mug route. I happened to find these little espresso mugs, and thought they were adorable. They hold close to 2 oz of wax, which I thought was just too cute! I’m gonna burn it tomorrow and see how it does 

6D9D56BE-F3E9-4818-80EE-284141897C42.jpeg

C50CE41E-6A1F-4FAE-8178-CDBE4E812018.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awnl said:

@VELMA21 that s super cute especially with the wood wick. Mugs candles are a good seller for me in Q4

So something my mother in law asked me this morning: can they re use the coffee cups once their candle is done for coffee? I would think not, since the fragrance oil would make it not food safe??? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VELMA21 said:

So something my mother in law asked me this morning: can they re use the coffee cups once their candle is done for coffee? I would think not, since the fragrance oil would make it not food safe??? 

That's the million dollar question, isn't it? 

If impeccably cleaned, it might not be bad. Many dish soaps contain fragrance. You will need to look at the IFRA certificate for each fragrance, and determine one by one.