Fragrance Fixatives?

inny

Hello! I’ve recently ventured into making body butters! Everything about them is great expect for the fact that the scent never lasts :( I’ve tried different types fragrance oils, but to be fair they all are from Amazon (which is where I get all of my ingredients) so maybe they’re just low quality? Is there anything I can add to my product to get the fragrance to last longer? 

Hi!  I'm afraid that I haven't made body butters, so please forgive me.  But, can you please tell me what you use for ingredients?  I see this place that seems to use vitamin E with theirs.  Maybe that would help...

I hope you're able to find a solution!  🙂

https://www.thehairpin.com/2011/08/make-your-own-powerfully-fragrant-body-butter/

I've never had an issue having fragrance oils stick in body butters - 2% fragrance oil is usually efficient.  Make sure the fragrance oils you are using are body safe and that you are using an amount within the recommended guidelines. I would buy from a reputable buyer that sells fragrance oils specifically formulated for crafting purposes.  We have quite an extensive list on this forum.  Give one of them a try.  They should all have the recommended IFRA guidelines available for each fragrance oil.  Using something like tapioca starch or cornstarch in it may also help anchor the scent, as well as cut greasiness.  Hope this helps!

Edited by LMR
additional info added

When yo unsay “last longer” do you mean when applied to the skin, or in the product itself? Different answers for each.

on the skin would need to blend base notes and fixatives to hold the scent longer. Glycerin, for example, can help slow the evaporation of volatile top notes.  Base notes like patchouli will also help “anchor” some notes. 

for in the product, that signals to me a fragrance quality issue.