Coconut wax is discoloring after first burn.

sally202

Wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I'm using CalCandles CocoBrite with 464 Soy, 3:1 ratio. I've been wick testing and I've found that the burn from several of the wicks causes the wax to turn from white to a light tan color. Even with candles that are clearly under-wicked I get the same effect. The burn pool and surface become tan and the rest of the unmelted wax is the original creamy white. It looks terrible! It seems to happen most with CD wicks but is also a bit of an issue with ECO wicks. It looks to me like the heat from the flame is oxidizing the warmed wax. Any suggestions on why this is occurring and how to correct it? After many, many tests I've found the ECO wicks burn the best, but this discoloration is a real problem!

IMG_4678.jpg

Edited by sally202

Does it happen with all FO?

i have had eco discolor many waxes even if they seem underwicked for the candle. Some components of the wax just overheat and discolor. 

it could be that the wick is drawing up lots of wax before the walls can catch up. In that case it is overwicked when it initially appears underwicked. Coconut is weird like that. It often needs a lower temp sustained flame to melt the sides out before drawing it all up into the flame. 

I get discoloration with 464 and coconut 83 (used separately).  I don't know why but wick producing better HT makes it more darker color discoloration in my case.  I see the same thing happening with some name brand parasoy candles too.  It bothers me too, but I am treating it as normal thing for many vegetable waxes including parasoy.  Somebody please correct me, if I am wrong about this.

What kind of wick is that in the picture?

18 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Does it happen with all FO?

i have had eco discolor many waxes even if they seem underwicked for the candle. Some components of the wax just overheat and discolor. 

it could be that the wick is drawing up lots of wax before the walls can catch up. In that case it is overwicked when it initially appears underwicked. Coconut is weird like that. It often needs a lower temp sustained flame to melt the sides out before drawing it all up into the flame. 

I have used biggest size wick possible in the wick series and even the biggest size wick seem too small for 464.  One the other hand, I have used smallest size wick possible in the wick series and even the smallest size wick seems too big for coconut 83.  With both waxes, I get more darker discoloration when HT is optimal.  Somehow my melt pool temperature is 14F higher with coconut 83 using smallest wick than 464 using biggest wick.  Candle making is so fun!

• 2 weeks later...