Has anyone ever tried blending Olive oil, Coconut Oil, and Beeswax to make a candle wax blend? I am currently doing this with the hemp core wicks and I am having awesome results! My only concern is that in the warmer months my candles won't hold up. Is there an established test procedure for testing different environments? 

Thank in advance!

18 minutes ago, mattpledzep said:

Has anyone ever tried blending Olive oil, Coconut Oil, and Beeswax to make a candle wax blend? I am currently doing this with the hemp core wicks and I am having awesome results! My only concern is that in the warmer months my candles won't hold up. Is there an established test procedure for testing different environments? 

Thank in advance!

Your concern about the warmer months is valid. Many of us experience sweating at a minimum without other supporting waxes in blends like this. 

Much depends on your actual ingredients in hand, as beeswax, coconut and olive vary greatly from batch to batch and producer to producer.

Before committing to selling these, do ship some to a person you trust in a very warm climate to see how differently these will burn in different ambient conditions.   I have been shocked on several occasions how candles burn in Los Angeles versus in Chicago where they are tested.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Your concern about the warmer months is valid. Many of us experience sweating at a minimum without other supporting waxes in blends like this. 

Much depends on your actual ingredients in hand, as beeswax, coconut and olive vary greatly from batch to batch and producer to producer.

Before committing to selling these, do ship some to a person you trust in a very warm climate to see how differently these will burn in different ambient conditions.   I have been shocked on several occasions how candles burn in Los Angeles versus in Chicago where they are tested.

Thanks for the quick response! That's good advice, I'm going to send some to south Florida where it should be hot before I start selling these.

• Thumbs Up 1

Burned a tin in 2°F MN weather for fun a few days ago.  Takes a LOT more thermal energy to melt wax, and it tunneled like crazy.  That's an extreme temperature, but the theory holds up.  Warmer environments need less wick, colder environments need more.  Balancing the combustion on top of that?  That's where things get really interesting.  Just cause you can generate the right amount of heat doesn't mean you're making a healthy candle.