coconut wax candle

candlesteve

Hi there, Candle newbie here!

Have just tried to make my first batch of candles.

180ml jar- 66mm diameter

EcoCoco container wax

Eco Wedo Wick

Heated the wax to 73 degrees Celsius whilst staring,  let it cool to 60 degrees, then poured into jar. As it's started to cure, a little  hole with a cave has formed near the wick, if I look inside it looks like the wax has pulled away from the wick causing a pocket around it. Its happened on about 5 of the 10 that I've made, and the rest seem to have some sort of stress marks where the wick poke out the wax.

What should I adjust to fix this problem? Thanks so much for any advice! 

rwsqe2h.jpeg

Pour temps are different between wax, room temp, humidity, drafts, etc. if your blend is high in soy, pouring temps will become more important. I would try pouring cooler to see if the shrink is different enough to help solve the cavity formation.  

one weird observation in my candles... wooden sticks sometimes change how my candle tops cool.

• 3 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 9:19 PM, TallTayl said:

one weird observation in my candles... wooden sticks sometimes change how my candle tops cool.

I use the metal stabilizer bars to hold my wicks and place and will randomly get holes that look like this too. I never thought to attribute it to my pour temp (because I do the same temp every time, and the holes are unpredictable)- but i do notice it doesn't happen as much if I babysit my candles and remove the metal bars once they have about halfway cooled. I always figured it had something to do with the metal getting really hot and not allowing the surface directly below it to cool evenly? 

Do you mean just wooden sticks in general, or do you think it has something to do with the stick/bar blocking some air flow for even temp cooling on the surface?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, friendlysoutherner said:

I use the metal stabilizer bars to hold my wicks and place and will randomly get holes that look like this too. I never thought to attribute it to my pour temp (because I do the same temp every time, and the holes are unpredictable)- but i do notice it doesn't happen as much if I babysit my candles and remove the metal bars once they have about halfway cooled. I always figured it had something to do with the metal getting really hot and not allowing the surface directly below it to cool evenly? 

Do you mean just wooden sticks in general, or do you think it has something to do with the stick/bar blocking some air flow for even temp cooling on the surface?

I think it is just how all wick bars tend to hold heat and change the microclimate on the top of the cooling candle. 

Sinkholes happen no matter when I remove the bars if the candle is cooling too fast on top for the middle of the candle to cool first.  I use wooden or plastic clothespins, and the bow tie metal wick bars. 

• Mind Blown 1

I don't know if this will make a difference but I always cover all of my candles with cardboard boxes while they are cooling.  I started doing it with palm wax and now it is just such a habit I do it with every candle wax I use.  Maybe try that to see if it helps.  Maybe slowing the cooling process might help.  **shrugs**