4786 vs JS para soy

Cathydiamond

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, Cathydiamond said:

Please tell me which wax has best hot scent throw ? Any advise would be appreciated new at making wax melts

You'll get a lot of different opinions. It depends on if you're planning to use molds for shapes or put it in clams. For beginners I think KY Para/Soy wax is great. You can make shapes and it also works well in clams too. You can also get it at Flaming Candle, Virginia, and Just Scent and probably a couple more. It contains about 50% soy so you'll need to let it cure for a few days. It's in granulated form which makes it easy to work with and it has a good throw. If you don't want to wait on a cure time then I'd go with all paraffin or a smaller amount of soy. For clams I use a mixture of 4625/6006 or 4625/4630. For shapes I like mixing 4625 and 4786 together. Another good wax to blend with either of those is 4794. I know this is confusing and probably too much information so I'd probably start out using the granular Para/Soy blend labeled tart wax. I actually love the way that wax performs. I just don't like waiting for it to cure cut it is a great wax.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Isn’t that the truth! 

and what one considers a dud others swear it is the best thing ever made. 

So true!

And things smell stronger to me in different places.

I can't tell you how many times I poured something and thought it was a dud so I would give it to the ladies in the front office at work. Then I'd be walking down the hall and smell something good and I'd go in and ask them what they had going in their warmer and it would be a scent that I thought was a dud when I poured it!

• Like 2

On 12/25/2020 at 12:31 PM, Belinda said:

You'll get a lot of different opinions. It depends on if you're planning to use molds for shapes or put it in clams. For beginners I think KY Para/Soy wax is great. You can make shapes and it also works well in clams too. You can also get it at Flaming Candle, Virginia, and Just Scent and probably a couple more. It contains about 50% soy so you'll need to let it cure for a few days. It's in granulated form which makes it easy to work with and it has a good throw. If you don't want to wait on a cure time then I'd go with all paraffin or a smaller amount of soy. For clams I use a mixture of 4625/6006 or 4625/4630. For shapes I like mixing 4625 and 4786 together. Another good wax to blend with either of those is 4794. I know this is confusing and probably too much information so I'd probably start out using the granular Para/Soy blend labeled tart wax. I actually love the way that wax performs. I just don't like waiting for it to cure cut it is a great wax.

21 hours ago, EAM said:

4625/4630 - what ratio do you recommend? I'm trying 50/50 10% load of fo. The ones that work are great but many oils weep

If I use clams I would mix this just like you're mixing. I'm not quite sure why your oils are weeping though. What temp are you adding them? I have had a couple that absolutely wouldn't mix, one being Jingle Bells from JS. I need to mix it at a much higher temp to get it to mix. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, EAM said:

200 but throw lasts 4 hours

You're mixing at 200 degrees and still have oils weeping? That seems really hot to me. I mix at 180-185 and if it's a really heavy oil like some vanillas that won't mix well I usually stick my glass mixing cup in the microwave and warm it up a little higher so it will blend but that's kind of rare. Most all of mine mix right in at 185. 

If your throw is only lasting for 4 hours I wouldn't think that is long enough. Maybe you're burning scent off by mixing at too high a temp? I've heard that's possible. 

Which oils are weeping and where are you getting them?