Test: Taper Wick to Keep Container Temperature Safe!

I finally had a chance to test taper wick theory to achieve different wick sizes in different parts of container.  This gave me full melt pool from top to bottom without container getting hot.  HT was constant from top to bottom, and almost no dancing flame problem at the bottom of jar when I reduced the wick size too.

*This test was possible using wide flat wick, which I pulled it out and cut the wick to make it narrower & smaller size as candle burned down the container.  This was the only first test.  I will be doing a lot more.  

Picture2.thumb.png.11bc3a9aa53b2492a04cfd3d94817dca.png

In Shallow & wider container, the wick size did not need to be reduced.  I am at 1/5 bottom without need to reduce wick size to keep the container getting hot.  I did reduced wick size by 10% which gave me less dancing flame at the 1/5 bottom.

Picture3.png.6ab243f986bbb91070af45e84c07fe67.png

• Shocked 1

Fun experiment! This is butting the wooden wicks, right?

if using a booster type, maybe removing that boost at the half way point would do something similar? 

I really really really really really wish wooden wicks were more consistent. I love that they don’t lean.

@TallTayl

I don't think there is any way to make the wooden wick work consistently unless someone can make wooden wick out of 100% wood fibers or wood dust.  Or design a wooden wick that would depend on exterior capillary action only.  It's just nature of wood that would not provide consistent capillary action through the wood.  I think "Sponiebr" in this forum came close to solution by hammering down on wooden wick trying to break wood fibers to make them loose.

You are the one who started this idea some months ago, and this idea is working better than I expected.  I am using a special wick that can be made to make this idea work.  But I am leaning toward using shallow wider containers instead of tall narrow ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think wood would be the top material which burns well enough to be used as candle wick.  But its lack of capillary action on high density part of woods will make the wooden wick won't lit up or stay lit.

Yes.  Those old ones had sawdust coating, which would have ability to pull up melted waxes on outer surface.  Small gap or any small particle on outer surface of any wick would create exterior capillary action.  What if we scratch the wooden surface and create many tiny gab lines?  Would that create enough capillary action on outer surface?  I might try this too!  First I have dig up wooden wick that would not lit up first. 😄

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 12:29 PM, BusyBee said:

@TallTayl

I don't think there is any way to make the wooden wick work consistently unless someone can make wooden wick out of 100% wood fibers or wood dust.  Or design a wooden wick that would depend on exterior capillary action only.  It's just nature of wood that would not provide consistent capillary action through the wood.  I think "Sponiebr" in this forum came close to solution by hammering down on wooden wick trying to break wood fibers to make them loose.

You are the one who started this idea some months ago, and this idea is working better than I expected.  I am using a special wick that can be made to make this idea work.  But I am leaning toward using shallow wider containers instead of tall narrow ones.

I can send you the shallow wide container you need! Look at you, you should have been an engineer! 😄

On 12/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, BusyBee said:

I still think wood would be the top material which burns well enough to be used as candle wick.  But its lack of capillary action on high density part of woods will make the wooden wick won't lit up or stay lit.

Yes.  Those old ones had sawdust coating, which would have ability to pull up melted waxes on outer surface.  Small gap or any small particle on outer surface of any wick would create exterior capillary action.  What if we scratch the wooden surface and create many tiny gab lines?  Would that create enough capillary action on outer surface?  I might try this too!  First I have dig up wooden wick that would not lit up first. 😄

I'll send you wood wicks with the container.