Votive Problems

Hi all,

I'm have problems with my votives splitting during burning.

I'm using IGI 4794,

add Reddig-Glo dye chips @ 175,

1oz of FO at 180,

Pour at 175-180 and

after about 3hrs repour at 185-190 into wick pinned 15 hr metal votive molds

After about 24 hrs to up to a week of cure time my candle starts to split down the side after about 45min into the burn. Also I'm using a very tight fitting round votive holder.

I seem to have a nice size melt pool but along with the splitting I'm not getting much of a hot scent throw either. However, the tarts I make with the left over wax gives awesome throws with my tealight tart warmer.

I'm currently testing a wick sampler pack and this happened with almost every wick I've tried so far which is:

36-24-24 Z

44-24-18 Z

LX-10

LX-12

LX-8

RRD 29 NST2

Any suggestions or comments?

Hope I filled in all the blanks. Thanks:)

~~JG

Wow! You have me stumped. I have made a TON of votives using that same wax and have never seen this problem. You are pouring a little hotter than I do but I can't imagine this makes a difference. I pour at about 165-170 and repour 10 degrees hotter. Are your candles being stored in a very cold place? Only thing I can think of. I hope someone else with more experience will chime in for you. Good luck.

Hi Fragile...guess I could try pouring my next batch @ lower temps like you to see if that's the problem. Due to lack of space I keep them in a box under my dining room table. My house is a little on the old side, so my downstairs can get a little cool in the winter, maybe I'll bring them upstairs where it's a little warmer and see how that works. Thanks you've been a big help:smiley2:

A little split or a split that goes all the way down. Votives will eventually spill over, no matter how tight of a holder you use. Tis what they are supposed to do. Now after 45 minutes if you're getting a split all the way down the candle, that's a whole nother matter.

Scented -- yes the split goes down the middle after only 45 min. in to the burn. Think maybe the batch of wax I received is just too soft? I've never worked with any other type so I have nothing else to compare it to. The reason why I started with this one first was because every one says the type gives one of the best hot and cold throws and is easy to work with.

Angela -- If I have a chance this weekend I'll definetely try pouring at a lower temp and see if this works. I'll let you know.

Thank you both:smiley2:

~~JG

I tested two candles this evening and the minute I saw the split forming I got so po'd I threw them both away. Duh, should have taken the pic then. I have to pick hubby up from work soon but I'll take one with my next test, but then of course it probably won't happen. Thanks for playing detective with me.:)

~~JG

Ok here are my pics:

Strawberry scented with a RRD 29 NST2 size wick, sorry for the fuzziness, I'm not the best picture taker as you can tell. Hope I have them in the right order.:embarasse

The first shows their condition before lighting (the one on the left split)

The second is after 20min.

The third is after about 45 min.

The fourth is the one on the right that did not split.

By the way now I'm getting a great hot throw...go figure. Anyway thanks for any help.

~~JG

post-1557-139458392214_thumb.jpg

post-1557-139458392218_thumb.jpg

post-1557-13945839222_thumb.jpg

post-1557-139458392223_thumb.jpg

Ok that split is normal in #4. That's just the votive overflowing into the cup. Eventually it should even out. Votives liquify and the wax will eventually flow out.

Now I will tell you that pix #3 is what looked weird to me.

Editing: Ok wait a minute, so there is no split in these pictures?

Question about your scent throw as well ... how much FO are you using pp of wax? Other question, have you thought about trying another wick? Maybe an LX10 or a 36z (zinc).

I don't see a split in the first picture, but then it's blurry and so are my eyes. The second pic looks normal for the beginning of the burn. #3 and #4 are what happens when the holder isn't a tight fitting one. Those look like the bubble type which have a lot of room around the middle for the wax to run into. Votives are supposed to liquify all the way to the glass, so where there's room, the wax will just keep running. That looks just the way a votive would normally burn in a holder like thet, IMO. What you're calling a "split during burn" is what I call a blowout in a pillar.

Ooops I knew I would mess up the order of the pics....sorry about that.

Out of all the store bought votives I've burned I've never seen them split before, just sort of overflow and melt down. Guess that's why I was alarmed. Oh well chalk it up to "newbie-ism" So if that split is normal then maybe I actually did something right.

Question about your scent throw as well ... how much FO are you using pp of wax? Other question, have you thought about trying another wick? Maybe an LX10 or a 36z (zinc).

I'm using 1oz per lb of wax and yes I've tried both 36z and LX10, had the same results with very little or no hot throw. I'm going to try them again this weekend from another supplier to see what happens. Going forth at least now I know a little more of what to expect in future tests.

Thank you so much for your help:highfive: Hopefully the next pics I posts will be some of my successes, although at the rate I'm going this could be decades for now:rolleyes2

~~JG

Sorry Satin, the pics are blurry. I thought I had a tight fitting holder, well I know what I'll be buying this weekend, back to the drawing board. Maybe I'll get better results with a different holder and different wicks.

I would love to do pillars some day, notice I said someday.:)

Thank you for your help and info.

~~JG

Hey try this out too ... after you make your votive, put it away for 2 weeks and then come back and light it.

Also what kind of FO are you using? Like is it an unidentifiable off ebay or out of a store like hobby lobby or Michaels? If it is, get better FOs.

And FYI, even in a straight votive holder, you're going to get that spillage.

When you said splitting I was imagining the votive cracking down the side. What you are referring to is "normal" for votives. Also as stated before they should be in a close fitting holder. You won't notice the effect you are worried about, but it will consume the other wax around it. Sorry if I confused you, you can PM me & I will try to help.

Scented - Wow two weeks! It's hard enough to have to wait 1 week, but I know the longer it cures the better the results.

Right now I'm using Candle Science and Longwyck FO's, the shipping is cheaper to NJ, and my tarts seem to come out fine. I know not to trust the craft store FO's.

I'm thinking about trying a few of Peaks since everyone here raves about them.

Try pouring cooler, are you heatingyour molds, and do the repour much sooner. IMO waiting 3 hours to do a repour for votive is a long time. I probably do mine after a half an hour before the wax starts pulling away from the sides and the wick pin.

Thanks Angela, for the WM tip. I will most likely put in an order for Peak's sampler pack, but how in the heck am I supposed to figure out which 10 to pick? Ah decisions.

Both of the companies you are using are reputable. I just think the scent gets stronger the longer it sits in the candle lol (sometimes that is.)

As for picking from Peaks eeny meeny minny mo ...

Hey, when I did my first votives mine did the same thing, and I thought I had done something wrong (I was thinking little pillar), kept thinking maybe my wicks were off centered just a tad, even though they didn't look like it to my eyes. (this was before I bought wick pins ;) ), then the good folks here set me straight, just as they did for you.

Aren't you glad you asked, and posted the pics? Now you know you've got GREAT votives. :D

Even though they say that candles of any type do not need to "cure" I (and most others here) have found that if you put them away for a week or two (if you can hold out that long LOL), it really helps. It may have something to do with just getting that scent out of your system. ;)

I know that when I'm making candles, at first I can smell it all through the house, and then later I can't smell it at all, but when others come in hours later, they're blown away by the scent.

Anyway, congrats on your votives, you are definitely on your way.

Oh, and as for picking from Peaks selection, I like Scented's idea- "eenie meeno minie mo" LOL Seriously, you really should get TWO sampler packs (that's what I've had to do) b/c it's sooo hard to narrow it down to just 10.

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great info, tips and suggestions. You've been great!! Today I bought some better fitting votive holders, placed an order with Peaks for their sampler pack and tomorrow I'll do some pouring at the lower temps as most of you suggested and will wait at least 2 wks before testing....even if it kills me:smiley2:

Thanks again for your invaluable help:)