Glass glow palm from LS... did something change?

calan

I bought a bag of IGI R2322A Glass Glow from Lone Star last November, and made some candles in 8oz mason jars and 9 oz straight-sided jars. They came out great, with coarse crystalization and deep color.

I then bought 4 more bags of the same thing in March, and just started pouring more candles with it. My temperatures and process are exactly the same (other than I'm now mixing with a slow-moving paint mixer rather than by hand)... but every candle I've made (12 of varying FO and color), has ended up with a very fine crystalization. It's not a lack of crystalization due to cooling too fast; just a completely different type of pattern. It is very fine and more uniform than it was before. From pictures I see on the web, it looks like feather palm...not glass glow. And at least one of the candles pulled away from the jar slightly, and I can feel it "rattle" in the container if I shake it a little.

The boxes and everything still say it's GG wax, but it sure looks like feather palm.

Any thoughts? Anyone else seen this happen?

Edited by calan

This wax also seems to solidify faster, even though I'm still letting them cool in my oven just like I always have. I may have actually missed my flip on a couple, because they were almost solid in the middle much earlier than they used to be.

Here is a pic of two Dragon's Blood candles. Same FO, same dye, same mixing, pouring, and cooling temps.

GG_change.jpg

Edited by calan
  • Shocked 1

Definitely not GG palm, at least not the same stuff as I got last time. Every candle I've tested is burning too hot, and one of them has wax bleeding down the side where it has pulled away from the jar a little.

I'm going to have to tear down a dozen 9 oz candles and rewick them with a CSN7 instead of CSN9. Grrrrrrrrrrr.  😣

Edited by calan
  • Shocked 1

I spent some time on the phone with Lone Star this morning, and sent them pics. They confirmed that I did indeed somehow get Feather Palm instead of the Glass Glow on the order back in March. Apparently someone mislabelled the boxes when they made up the 10 lb bags..

Much to their credit, they were extremely helpful and are making it right.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, calan said:

I spent some time on the phone with Lone Star this morning, and sent them pics. They confirmed that I did indeed somehow get Feather Palm instead of the Glass Glow on the order back in March. Apparently someone mislabelled the boxes when they made up the 10 lb bags..

Much to their credit, they were extremely helpful and are making it right.

Nice.  I saw this post the other day and thought it looked like feather palm too.  For what it's worth, I use feather palm for pillar candles. It's my favorite of the palm waxes actually.  It's super easy to work with....just in case you want to start a new project :)

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Nice.  I saw this post the other day and thought it looked like feather palm too.  For what it's worth, I use feather palm for pillar candles. It's my favorite of the palm waxes actually.  It's super easy to work with....just in case you want to start a new project :)

One thing at a time. It's been a year and a half and probably $1000 invested so far, and I still can't get a consistent container candle that I like.  LOL

I've decided that only large machines and masochists make candles.  :)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, calan said:

@bfroberts - 

I'm apparently already making pillar candles...I'm just doing it in jars.  :D

20201116_000604.thumb.jpg.27bd36a9eda4a738c73f47aa29422048.jpg

20201116_000621.jpg

you may have an innovative new product there! Feather Palm is beautiful, and many people fear burning pillar candles.

• Thumbs Up 1

As easy as it is to get palm out of a jar and clean them up (especially since these are already pulling away from the glass)...I may just dig it out, melt it, and (maybe) add a little more FO and make melts out of them. Then re-pour the candles when I get the replacement glass glow. Hopefully I won't lose much scent if I get the wax just hot enough to pour into molds.

Thoughts?

Edited by calan

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Would the oven be quicker? 

It's actually a lot easier and less messy (for me anyway) to just break up the wax with a wick coring tool and dump it out. Doesn't take long at all. 

I'm more worried about how much it will ruin the scent to remelt the wax to pour it into molds for melts.