Random cracking not sure what caused it.

Hi everyone,

Quick question, I've made several of these little tins  now and thought I had resolved this issue. It's baaaack!!!!!!!!!! I made large batch of these last night and half are cracked. Is this a sign of pouring too fast? The tins were pre-washed and pre-heated. The cracking throughout is random. I poured different fragrances and made 3-5 at a time. Pour is around 140 degrees. It's so random that I'm not sure what went wrong. Thanks!

IMG_3088.jpg

50/50 464 Soy and Coco 83. I'm thinking of switching from 83 due to availability issues to another brand of coco. I've also heard iffy things about 464. Does anyone have any recommendations of a better quality of soy? I'm on the fence. Thanks so much for the help!

For glassware, I understand why it sometimes requires warming to try to minimize pulling away from the glass, but I don't know why tins are warmed.  There may be a reason, probably so, that I'm not aware of, but I think it needs to be considered, esp. when pouring wax on the warm side, as it may be bringing up the temperature as a whole.  What do you think?

• Like 1

Soy coconut often splits from rapid cooling.

both of those waxes are competing to stick to the glass, yet shrink in the center as it cools. I used to minimize cracking by pouring much cooler, so the wax did not need to contract nearly as much to finish.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it did not.   Polymorphic crystals of soy wax are not plastic enough to stretch with the forces so it cleves just like that. 

a more plastic wax like 4786 handles the stresses by stretching (which causes the need for a second pour), but I understand how many people are averse to paraffin for various reasons. 

• Like 1

I've seen that a few times when I used that same 50/50 blend, however, it was random - not half of or a whole batch - and I used thick (danube jars I had leftover from Peak) glass. Might have something to do with tins being metal and conducting heat away from the wax, similar to what @TallTayl suggested - cooled too fast. Try insulating it next time for a slower cool down, or pour much cooler. Since both waxes have lower melt points, they can be poured cooler without odd behavior in the stirring pot (Ever seen palm wax rapidly crystallize while still stirring? It floats on the molten wax, sticks to everything, and is an overall mess.).

Edit: If you do switch from coco 83, I would suggest Ceda Serica - the coconut-apricot wax. 50/50 blend with 464 performed better than with coco 83. However, some fragrances were iffy and performed better in straight 464. Wicking will be a little tricky, from what I remember, so plan to start wick testing a size or two smaller than in straight 464. Well, I should say that's what I had to do but I was also using the old 464. 464 changed two or three years ago and needed wicking down... then wicking way up... and now I have no idea because I don't use it anymore. Nevertheless, definitely give coconut-apricot a try. IMO, the blend has a better appearance too - almost like a creamy paraffin and good color retention.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1

Awesome! Thank you to everyone so much for helping explain why things happen. I find it sometimes hard to get good info on this. Anyway, I appreciate the recommendation on the ceda-serica. Funny, Kerven that you mentioned it because I just ordered a sample of it; when I get the chance I'll try it out - can't wait. Good thing I have various wick types to test with 😂.  In the meantime, I'll try pouring cooler with these see if that helps.

Fortunately, this only happened with the small candles, my larger containers I do a double-pour with and they come out really nicely. I still have very slight adhesion issues, but I just chalk that off to my little experience and my own "pickyness". I have faith they will get better as my skill set grows - and just put this last flawed episode down for the learning curve book. Thanks again everyone for sharing some great knowledge and have a terrific weekend! 

Edited by Candlefriends