Getting powders (like kaolin clay) mixed into oils

moodybalm

Hi, everyone! 😄

I'm messing with balm/lotion bars (~40% carrier oil, 35% butters, 25% wax) , and I was thinking about mixing in a little kaolin clay for a more-powdery feel. But the clays are waaaay more miscible in water, and getting them mixed into the melted bar mixture with a mini-whisk is just about impossible.

Is this just a fool's errand? Or does anyone have any tips for this? I can try high-shear blending, but I imagine I'd then have tons of bubbles. 🤔

Consistent heat and a wide spatula to smoosh, stir and smoosh a bit more.  You may want to mix the clay in phases, such as try to blend it into oil, then add the clay/oil into the other melted ingredients.

kaolin and similar clays can cause pilling when applied to skin. It can also make skin feel really dry, so go lightly.

have you tried IPM? It mixes easily and can feel silky and emollient at low %.

• Thanks 1

If you want powdery feel then try adding arrowroot or cornstarch. Changing oils to and butters to less oily can help in end result. You need to put at the right temp to incorporate powders and clays into balms and salves. If you pour hot then the additives will sink, pour cooler. Mango butter is a drier oil for example. There are other additives you can use.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shari said:

I used arrowroot powder in the past but prefer IPM over other additives.  As stated using drier oils/butters helps as well. 

I bought a few recipes from popular sellers. The ones with starches and clay caused my skin to dry like a lizard, and formed “pills” when rubbed in. Pilling  is a fun thing if you are looking for a sensory product like a peel, but in a lotion to distribute moisture retention not so much 😀 plus powders and starches can leave a matte coating if too high of a %. 

I am with you, better butter and oil choices make so much difference.

IPM can volatilize/evaporate somewhat easily (Llike cyclomethicone) and can feel just as dry as starches if used at too high of a %.  It feels like gasoline evaporating from my skin. 

• Like 1