Reusing candle containers for testing

jmspgh

Good morning all. In an effort to keep costs lower and not have candle jars take over my entire house (more than they already have), I want to try to reuse my candle containers for testing. In your experience what is the most effective way of doing this? Some of my jars have only minimal wax left in them while others (wick fails) have quite a lot left inside. As always, thank you thank you for all of your help.

Welcome to the addiction and consequence of learning 🤗 our candle graveyards tend to grow and grow. 

early on I would melt candles in the oven, upside down, just enough to get them to drop the left over wax out.  This works well with hard waxes, like palm and paraffin like 4786. When I need to get out frustration chipping and chopping soy waxes can help, then heat gun and hot soapy soak the jars for the next round. 

the old waxes can sometimes be used up as fire starters, or my latest hair brained idea, as a patio candle. I gather the old wax in a metal stock pot and poke a bunch of wicks into it. Doesn’t matter if it burns perfectly clean or not since it will burn outdoors. 

• Like 2

If I only have a few jars to deal with, I put them on candle warmers to melt residual wax.  Then I pour into a tart mold so we can enjoy the fragrance in our tart warmers.  Or I pour scrap wax into a container I use to make firestarters.

If I have quite a few jars to deal with at once, I place them on an old pizza pan and pop them into a warm oven.  Then I use a silicone jar grabber (ok, that's NOT the technical name!  :D) to hold the jars while pouring out wax.  I wipe them down with a rag or paper towel, then sometimes I need to spritz a bit of rubbing alcohol at the bottom where the wick stickum was to remove residual gunk so a new wick will adhere.

• Like 2

Hi @jmspgh.

When I'm done with a test candle and want to reuse the jar, I too will remove the wax and use it on a wax melter or use it to make fire starters. If I have not attached a wick with a metal tab, I pull the wick out then pop it in the microwave for a few minutes to get it soft or runny, scoop the wax out and wash the jar. If it does have a wick attached with a metal tab then I boil it in water a few minutes on the stove in a big, deep frying pan. These methods work well for me.