How to fix sinkholes in paraffin candles

On 8/3/2020 at 4:55 AM, fearfulsymmetri said:

My candles are ending up with large sinkholes and the wax I add to them is not sticking, making it flake off. Any ideas of how I can fix this? I've tried at various different temperatures...

What type of wax are you using? Paraffin is know for sinkholes, just want to make sure you're not using a pillar style wax instead of a container wax. 

13 hours ago, fearfulsymmetri said:

Yes. It just becomes a separate layer of wax that doesn't stick to the rest of the candle properly.

What temperature are you at for pouring your second layer?  I think you should be at around 180dF for that second pour, if I'm wrong, someone will probably correct me, but I think it needs to be at least that hot.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:16 PM, birdcharm said:

What temperature are you at for pouring your second layer?  I think you should be at around 180dF for that second pour, if I'm wrong, someone will probably correct me, but I think it needs to be at least that hot.

I agree that the second pour should be hotter to insure adhesion between the layers.  Another thing you might try is to hit the top of the candle with your heat gun just prior to pouring that 2nd layer.