100% soy or a blend, and why?

jsull918

It is the nearly impossible question for chandlers. But...

I’ll bite.

i like any wax that performs the way I want/need it to in a given situation.

major requirements: for the last decade I needed a wax that would survive hot and humid summers where product sat out in uncontrolled environments for 10 weeks at a time.  It had to burn safely number 1, burn acceptably in a tin (branding reasons), not melt in the extreme heat, ship in all weather conditions and have decent enough cold throw to entice buyers.  Oh, and of course, It had to be profitable.

Minor requirements: it needed to hold color well to attract attention of the magpies and be reasonably acceptable at “naturalish”. Had to not throw soot.

I did not care about adhesion, wet spots, frosting or pretty tops, so that opened up possibilities. 

Soy blends Where soy was the primary wax worked best in those constraints, especially since I live in farm country where the soy lobby had already spend untold millions of $ pimping soy. I cut my teeth on 464, giving up on it early as not a strong and steady performer in my opinion.  Moved up to C3 as a base for retail, then within a couple of years graduated to C1 as I like how it burns much more than C3. I gave up on golden brands (464/444/415) altogether when they all turned so darned much in 2016. They may be better now, but I just don’t look forward to being burned again and again with changes.

the cons of those restraints were that the waxes were not generally manufacturing friendly. Learning to prevent cavities was key to volume production. Worse was the variability from case to case of wax. Buying a years worth at a time is a gamble, especially when waxes turned unusable at one point, meaning up I have hundreds of lbs of really crappy soy wax to write off and dispose of. 

for personal candles, I like my own wax coconut blends. I don’t intend to ship or sell them because they are just not stable enough in hotter conditions to burn the way they were designed and tested. We absolutely love candles in my house, burning them on the daily in several rooms, so loving a wax makes life so much more enjoyable! 

occasionally, I will splurge and make palm containers for myself.  They are a fun switch from the usual. I love palm wax, but it is one I can’t get nearby, so the cost increases beyond my own blends.

I’ve learned just about every wax form available over the years, and prefer non-paraffin candles. Nothing against paraffin, I just prefer working with others, and like how other waxes perform more. 

sooooo, I would make a list of the things most important to YOU, and find a wax that fits those needs. 

1 hour ago, karinz40 said:

" Learning to prevent cavities was key to volume production".

How do you do that on volume?

have enough pouring pots to cool to 105* before pouring. I had no other options.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

----  i like any wax that performs the way I want/need it to in a given situation.

----  sooooo, I would make a list of the things most important to YOU, and find a wax that fits those needs. 

Good question @Hometown Handmades.

I agree with the 2 statements TallTayl made. It's basically easier to build your product ideas around the performance of the wax instead of trying to force a wax to perform the way you want it to. And of course know your waxes since some are specifically made to be used for certain types of products in the first place.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Good question @Hometown Handmades.

I agree with the 2 statements TallTayl made. It's basically easier to build your product ideas around the performance of the wax instead of trying to force a wax to perform the way you want it to. And of course know your waxes since some are specifically made to be used for certain types of products in the first place.

I liken it to selecting solutions in any business.  Determine the requirements then do knock out analysis to pick the winner.  None will likely be a perfect fit, but at least your aim will be true.

first knockout project I worked on was in information systems. The requirements on the presentation were ranked in order of importance. The CIO liked that I put tombstones on the slide show at the point where a solution did not meet requirements.  🤣. This was back before emojis and clip art, so I had to make one using MS paint. Boy do I feel old .

applying this to the candle business, typically people give me their vessel, their FO, and an idea of wax type or concept they want to use. They let me know the environment the candle will be housed in, sold in, and shipped from so we know what temp extremes to work around. And of course, a cost limit. Taking the time early on to learn waxes thoroughly has its benefits.

• Like 1