Reed Diffuser Base

Jeana

Does anyone make their own reed diffuser base? I've seen some you tube videos that say to just use a light oil and put your fragrance in that. It can't be that simple, right?
I'd just use it for myself, not to sell. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 7:18 PM, Jeana said:

Does anyone make their own reed diffuser base? I've seen some you tube videos that say to just use a light oil and put your fragrance in that. It can't be that simple, right?
I'd just use it for myself, not to sell. 

Definitely not that simple! No, I’ve never tried it. I use Candlescience’s base. 

You need something a bit more evaporative than cooking oils.

Isopropyl Myristate (IPM) as a partial ingredient list comes to mind.  It is oily feeling, but evaporates quickly, meaning the fragrance has a chance to get into the air.  The base needs to me thin enough to wick up into reeds, and light enough to pirate into the air. IPM is too evaporative to use alone, as it will dry out quickly.  I’ll think back into my memory bank for the blend. 

editing to add, here’s an archived thread with some discussion.

plug in diffusers and some reed bases use an ether/glycol like sold through Dow Chemical (dowanol).  It is not easy to get as a home crafter without a commercial address though

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 7:54 AM, TallTayl said:

Here’s another nice discussion from base notes.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/287226-Reed-diffuser-carrier

Interesting stuff. I just got an email from the wooden wick claiming they carry a 100% natural diffuser base now. I’m so curious about it. Of course they don’t list ingredients. I’m not really looking for an all natural base because FOs have chemicals any way, I was just hoping I could do something easy that I didn’t have to order more stuff online.  

I did put together a base with rice oil, 91% alcohol, and some FO just to see if it works. It isn’t too bad really. It’s actually close to the output I was getting from the same FO in the CS base. I didn’t use much alcohol because I didn’t think it would mix. It mixed fine (slightly cloudy, but cleared eventually) so I may try another with more alcohol. I’m using the old sticks. I didn’t think about them getting clogged. I should try it with new sticks. 

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 5:35 AM, Sebleo said:

Definitely not that simple! No, I’ve never tried it. I use Candlescience’s base. 

I used to use the CS base too. It was ok.  I was just looking to avoid ordering from suppliers for now, and possibly make something that has a stronger out put.

• Like 1