Wax Scenting

So I was just instructed by this group that the best (and most natural smelling) way to scent the wax is to simply use essential oils (EO).

My next questions is around proportions: does any have a good formula for Wax-to-oil ratio to make sure the scent is not too overwhelming, yet also present?

Are there any other considerations I'm missing?

I don't think I've ever smelled a candle with EO's where the scent is overwhelming, it's usually weak as piss compared to FO's.

Plus I don't like the fact that there's a lot of talk about certain EO's letting off toxic fumes when they burn. I'd rather stick to FO that's made to be burned.

This whole 'all natural' thing that people keep trying to go for is not really the safe-haven they think it is. 

• Like 2

If you plan to scent your wax with EO's it could be very expensive and exasperating. A lot of EO's simply don't scent wax very well in wax and were never meant to be used in wax and those that do often need large amounts to do so. You will find that EO's aren't cheap either.

There are many fragrance oils that are designed specifically for use in wax and all the successful candlemakers I know use FOs from well known suppliers. There is lots of information about where to find them in the fragrance forum.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Good to know Everybody. I took your advice and went with FO's instead of EO's. Cheaper too ($20 per 100ml)

That said, still a little blind to the amount of FO to put into my melted wax. Any tips there?

Just trying to find that sweet spot where the fragrance is recognizable, yet not overbearing.

Depends. Not all waxes are the same. This is one of those things that you simply can't skimp testing on. You will find some FOs are light naturally and others blow your socks off strong. 

A general rule of thumb is to start out at 6% fragrance load and adjust up or down from there. In my wax I have found less is better so I use 5% for most of my FOs with the exception of a few. This is where testing comes in so you know which oils work in your wax and which don't. 

Candlemaking is fun but its an expensive hobby and or business. You tend to go test a load of different FOs before you find the right one you are looking for. This is why many suppliers have 1oz sample FOs. Take advantage before you start buying FOs by the lb.

• Like 1