Joy wax to Soy wax (464) HELP!

Hi there! I have been making candles for a couple of years now but just switched wax. I started with Joy Wax and never really had a problem, but my last batch was useless! I didn't change wicks, containers, or even FOs and I get absolutely no hot throw and hardly any cold throw. The one thing that did change was that I started using a SoyLite wax melter. I've always used the double broiler method in the past but this seemed so much more convenient. I am wondering if temperature inconsistencies may have affected the ability to get any scent throw...? Has anyone ran into this before? 

Also, I ordered some 464, thinking it was an issue with the Joy wax, but now I have 2 problems. 1) the soy candles look TERRIBLE and 2) amazing cold throw with ZERO hot throw... I just spent hundreds of dollars on useless candles and I have no idea what to do. I'm about ready to give up :( Any advice?

I didn’t. I made all of my orders at once (making one test candle for each scent) and when I went to light the testers (3 days later), all but 1 had no hot throw whatsoever. The 1 that actually had scent was the first one I made in the bunch. I’m now out of that batch of wax so I can’t really test any more. I guess I’m just nervous to try joy wax again at this point. 

As for the 464, I was soooo excited because the cold throw was phenomenal (despite looking awful) but after a 7 day cure, no hot throw at all. I can go back to the double broiler method, it’s just sooooo time consuming. 

On 4/3/2020 at 12:08 PM, jbullock89 said:

Hi there! I have been making candles for a couple of years now but just switched wax. I started with Joy Wax and never really had a problem, but my last batch was useless! I didn't change wicks, containers, or even FOs and I get absolutely no hot throw and hardly any cold throw. The one thing that did change was that I started using a SoyLite wax melter. I've always used the double broiler method in the past but this seemed so much more convenient. I am wondering if temperature inconsistencies may have affected the ability to get any scent throw...? Has anyone ran into this before? 

Also, I ordered some 464, thinking it was an issue with the Joy wax, but now I have 2 problems. 1) the soy candles look TERRIBLE and 2) amazing cold throw with ZERO hot throw... I just spent hundreds of dollars on useless candles and I have no idea what to do. I'm about ready to give up :( Any advice?

I don't have experience with Joy Wax, so I cannot give you any feed back on that part. 

But, I did and still use 464 melting it on Presto Pot (same as SoyLite wax melter) for small batch of testers.  With my experience, SoyLite wax melter was much better than double boiling method.

Pouring temperature is very important to have nice looking 464.  Pour in between 130 to 140.  Cold room temperature could have affect on appearance of candle, too.  And for the wick, it would be almost impossible to wick 464 that I haven't seen that many, who succeeded.  If you can post some information on your 464 (% of FO, container size, wick, pouring temperature, etc.), then I might be able to give you some suggestion on 464.  

As for the Joy Wax, others might be able to give you some infor.

• Like 1

I'd stick with the Joy wax and look into other factors that may have changed your results.  I don't know anything about your melter or process, but if it were me, I'd go back to Joy Wax and start troubleshooting.  In comparison, 464 is all around more troublesome IME.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 12:21 AM, BusyBee said:

I don't have experience with Joy Wax, so I cannot give you any feed back on that part. 

But, I did and still use 464 melting it on Presto Pot (same as SoyLite wax melter) for small batch of testers.  With my experience, SoyLite wax melter was much better than double boiling method.

Pouring temperature is very important to have nice looking 464.  Pour in between 130 to 140.  Cold room temperature could have affect on appearance of candle, too.  And for the wick, it would be almost impossible to wick 464 that I haven't seen that many, who succeeded.  If you can post some information on your 464 (% of FO, container size, wick, pouring temperature, etc.), then I might be able to give you some suggestion on 464.  

As for the Joy Wax, others might be able to give you some infor.

With the 464 I used the full 10% (I don't know why, I usually stay around 7% 🙄), used 2.7 inch tins (8oz), CD 8 and CD 10 wicks, and poured 135, 130, and 110. NG recommended pouring at 110, which seemed ludicrous to me, and those are the ones that turned out the worst. The ones poured at 130 and 135 looked nice but they had no HT at all. Still, excellent CT. lol. I still light them every once in a while in the hopes that they'll actually throw... I wasted an entire bottle of one of my favorite scents 😭