Candle Wicks

This may be a silly question, but does anyone know if big candle companies use the same wicks that we do, Htp, CD, Eco, etc? It just seems to me, that their wicks burn differently. Also, one candle that I was using had a small round wick base, and it wasn’t a small wick. I haven’t seen that on the wicks, we all seem to be using. The only brands I haven’t tried are, premiere, RRD, & CSN. I keep thinking, I must be missing something, I’ve been testing over a year & still have not found the perfect wicked candle. I use a lot of wood wicks, but really want a good cotton wick candle. I use 4627 & 6006 waxes. I would appreciate any insight & advice on this. 

I remember seeing a sign at White Barn Candles a few seasons ago that they use as many as 50 different wicks in their Various candles. 

in short, could be the same wicks being tabbed specifically for them.  Their wicks could also have different chemical treatments based on their wax/FO combos. We only are easily able to get the most popular selling wicks at our retailers.  If you look at US manufacturers and wholesalers (such as Atkins and Pearce, etc.) an awful lot more wicks are out there, you just need to buy Them in 5,000-10,000 unit packs.

overseas has loads more we can’t get here. 

I honestly think more falls into the fragrance oil realm for performance. We don’t generally have easy access to the concentrations or quality of candle fragrances as most majors. Our retailers are trying to appease too many markets (soap, lotion, candles, etc) with one single concentration of product. Fragrances made specifically for candles without regard for skin sensitivity can be compounded to perform much differently. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I honestly think more falls into the fragrance oil realm for performance. We don’t generally have easy access to the concentrations or quality of candle fragrances as most majors. Our retailers are trying to appease too many markets (soap, lotion, candles, etc) with one single concentration of product. Fragrances made specifically for candles without regard for skin sensitivity can be compounded to perform much differently. 

Great explanation!  I agree with our suppliers trying to appease multiple markets and it does seem to affect performance in wax.  Yes there are many that throw well, but I can tell lack of longevity from majority that are made skin safe.  That is to be expected as being too concentrated would give negative skin reactions.  Even retailers that call themselves a candle company have lots of oils made for candle making and skincare.  I want more candle only focused oil companies!!

• Like 2

rickusa_2019_2.jpg

There are many different wick sustainers (tabs or bases) available that even we can custom order thru wick assemblers, but our suppliers only carry one general type.  Big companies should be able to order their own wick thru wick assemblers or direct from manufacturers, and some big candle company should have their own wick assembly machines. 

The wick used by big candle company could be same or totally different wick from what is available thru wick manufacturers to us.  If I were a big candle company, then I would have the manufacturers to make me a wick that would work for my wax, FO, dye & container combination because none of the regular wicks available seems to be working right.  I guess we just need to find the one works the best(not the perfect one) at our stage.  Or we could invest big amount of money on the wick.

I find that wood wick performs the best among what is available to us.  However, wood wick has its own problem of quality control.  Some of wood wick just won't stay lit, so this is not a reliable wick to use in candle business.  Just try to settle for the ones that works really close to your target.

• Like 1

Thank you! It’s a question that has been nagging at me, because I have ppl saying they never trim wicks, that they usually trim themselves. I will just go with the best possible options. I buy my wood wicks from The Flaming Candle, once I figured out the correct size to trim, I haven’t had any problems. I have tested the sample pack from The Wooden Wick Co. I found I have great results just going with the Small, Medium of large options. Thanks again for your reply. 🕯 

When melted wax cools down and hardens after burn, it should shrink down little bit.  If I burn my candle for about 2 hours(It gets about 1/4" melt pool depth), then the shrinkage is very minimal that I would not need to trim my wick.  But, if I burn my candle for more than 3 hours, then depth of melt pool becomes about 1/2".  More shrinkage will happen with this depth, and I would need to trim my wick little bit for highest performance.  During burn, I never have to trim my wick. 

Wood wick is one of the wick that has ability to burn off excessive length occurred by this, which will quickly burn down to necessary length by itself(I say within 15 seconds).  So, I would say wood wick could be considered as true self trimming wick.  *Even if you start with little longer wick length than your preferred length with wood wick, it should adjust to right wick length by itself quickly.

Like I said before, wood wick would be the best performing wick available to us right now.  Good HT, self trimming, no soot even in heavy draft, perfect melt pool, container stays cool, perfect melt pool temperature, etc. that I cannot ask for more.  But, I got about 5% defected wood wick(out of 400) that would not stay lit.  The worst part is that I would not know this until customer try to light it up.  If I can figure out a way to sort out this defected wood wicks, then I would use wood wick 100% on my candles.

I hope this helps you little bit more.  Good luck to you with your venture!

23 hours ago, BusyBee said:

When melted wax cools down and hardens after burn, it should shrink down little bit.  If I burn my candle for about 2 hours(It gets about 1/4" melt pool depth), then the shrinkage is very minimal that I would not need to trim my wick.  But, if I burn my candle for more than 3 hours, then depth of melt pool becomes about 1/2".  More shrinkage will happen with this depth, and I would need to trim my wick little bit for highest performance.  During burn, I never have to trim my wick. 

Wood wick is one of the wick that has ability to burn off excessive length occurred by this, which will quickly burn down to necessary length by itself(I say within 15 seconds).  So, I would say wood wick could be considered as true self trimming wick.  *Even if you start with little longer wick length than your preferred length with wood wick, it should adjust to right wick length by itself quickly.

Like I said before, wood wick would be the best performing wick available to us right now.  Good HT, self trimming, no soot even in heavy draft, perfect melt pool, container stays cool, perfect melt pool temperature, etc. that I cannot ask for more.  But, I got about 5% defected wood wick(out of 400) that would not stay lit.  The worst part is that I would not know this until customer try to light it up.  If I can figure out a way to sort out this defected wood wicks, then I would use wood wick 100% on my candles.

I hope this helps you little bit more.  Good luck to you with your venture!

Thank you for the info. What company did you buy your wooden wicks from? I have never purchased that many at a time. I have had good luck with the ones that I buy. 

The Wood Wick Company's parent company Lumetique holds patent for wood wicks, and The Wood Wick Company is the official licensed manufacturer of all wood wicks.  The Flaming Candle, North Wood Distributing, and all other candle suppliers sells same wood wicks from The Wood Wick Company.  I got mine from North Wood Distributing during my trial period and got the little bigger quantity order from The Wood Wick Company. 

There are many other wood wicks from China, too.  But, no candle suppliers would carry them due to patent infringement.  

It's good that you are not having any problem. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, BusyBee said:

The Wood Wick Company's parent company Lumetique holds patent for wood wicks, and The Wood Wick Company is the official licensed manufacturer of all wood wicks.  The Flaming Candle, North Wood Distributing, and all other candle suppliers sells same wood wicks from The Wood Wick Company.  I got mine from North Wood Distributing during my trial period and got the little bigger quantity order from The Wood Wick Company. 

There are many other wood wicks from China, too.  But, no candle suppliers would carry them due to patent infringement.  

It's good that you are not having any problem. 

I did know that The Flaming Candle purchased from TWWC, didn’t realize they all did. I hope my luck with them continues.